[Greennet-l] Urgent virus warning 28-11-01

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Wed Nov 28 13:35:04 GMT 2001

Dear GreenNet Users,

We are writing to warn you of two viruses that are spreading quite
prolifically at the moment.

Please note that they only affect Outlook Express versions 5.1 and
5.5 on PCs only.
Users that followed our Virus Warning 20-9-01 are already protected.
If you are not sure download and install the patch!
First I would like to reiterate our usual advice here, which will
protect you from 99% of virus threats.
i) Install virus protection on your computer.
ii) Make sure that your virus definitions are up to date. If you do
not update the virus definitions regularly your virus protection
software will not pick up new viruses and be ineffective
iii) NEVER EVER OPEN ANY ATTACHMENT BEFORE IT HAS BEEN SCANNED FOR
VIRUSES. This includes emails from people you know.
iv) If you receive a suspicious message please feel free to forward
to support at gn.apc.org

Your virus software manufacturer will usually have some kind of email
alert list that you can subscribe to.  This will automatically alert
you to virus threats and may give you helpful information about how
to deal with them.  Contact your virus software provider for more
details.

**********
W32.Badtrans.B at mm

**********

Affects: Outlook Express version 5.1 and 5.5 only

This is spread by attachments and if you are infected it can 'sniff'
passwords by recording your computers keystrokes.  The virus will
also send itself automatically to everyone in your address book.

In all cases, the email containing the virus will have two
extensions. The first will be one of the following:
.doc
.mp3
.zip

The second extension that is appended to the file name is one of the
following:
.pif
.scr

The virus can infect your machine just by previewing messages making
it very dangerous.

You should follow this link to download a patch to protect you from
this vulnerability:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/
q290108/default.asp

**********
W32.Aliz.Worm
**********

Affects: Outlook Express version 5.1 and 5.5 only

This virus is spread by previewing a message in Outlook express
versions 5.1 or 5.5.  It will send out emails to all the addresses in
your address book with randomly generated content.

While the virus does no actual harm to an infected computer it has
the potential to cause a great deal of inconvenience to anyone who is
sent 100's of virus infected emails!

The virus can infect your machine just by previewing messages making
infection very easy.

You should follow this link to download a patch to protect you from
this vulnerability:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/
q290108/default.asp

Best Wishes