[Greennet-l] Please change over to new dial up number as soon as possible

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Mon Feb 4 12:04:15 GMT 2002

Dear GreenNet Users,

This letter is confirmation that you can now use the software that we
sent out to change to our new dial up number.  If you are not sure
how to use the software we have included the instructions at the end
of this email.  In all cases please remember to shutdown and restart
your computer after you have changed the settings.

Please remember that you only need to make these changes if you
connect through GreenNets dial up numbers.  If connect via another
ISP then do not make any changes at all.

Please call us on 0845 055 4011 if you have any problems.

Best Wishes

GreenNet Support

Instructions for Mac users:

Here are instructions for making the changes in the following
operating systems; Mac OS versions 8.5 to 9.2 and OS x.  If you use
an earlier version of Mac OS please call support for assistance after
Tuesday 5-2-02

First you need to change the dial up number
Click on the apple menu a drop down menu will appear
Select control panels.  You should see a drop down list of the
control panels.
Select the Remote access control and the control panel will open.
Change the dial up number to 0845 059 0040
Close Remote access by clicking in the top left hand corner of the
window.  You will be asked 'Save changes to the current
configuration?'.  Click the Save button.

Now you need to change the name server addresses.
Click on the apple menu and a drop down menu will appear.
Select control panels.  You should see a drop down list of the
control panels.
Select the TCP/IP control panel and the control panel will open.
At the bottom of the screen is a box with Name server addr.: beside
it.  Remove anything in the box and put in the following numbers
making sure you press the return/enter key at the end of each line:
213.55.4.35
213.55.4.36

It is not necessary to change the contents of any of the other boxes.
Close the TCP/IP control panel by clicking in the top left hand
corner of the box.  You will be asked 'Save changes to the current
configuration?'.  Click the Save button.

Finally you will need to change the outgoing mail server in your mail
program.

If you are using Eudora:
Go to special and settings, the settings window will appear.  Scroll
down until you can see the sending mail category.  Change the smtp
server name to smtp.greennet.org.uk
Click OK. You have now made all of the changes. Please reboot your
computer and test the new settings.

If you are using Outlook Express version 4:
Open Outlook Express.
Go to edit menu and select preferences.
On the left hand side of the screen select Click on Accounts and
select email.  Your email account preferences should appear on the
right hand side of the screen.
In the entry for: Sending mail SMTP server replace the entry with
smtp.greennet.org.uk
Click OK. You have now made all of the changes. Please reboot your
computer and test the new settings.

If you are using Outlook Express version 5 and above:
Open Outlook Express.
Go to the tools menu and select accounts.  The accounts window will
appear.
Select your GreenNet account and click the edit button. The
properties window will appear.
In the sending mail category change the SMTP server to:
smtp.greennet.org.uk
Click OK.  You have now made all of the changes. Please reboot your
computer and test the new settings.

Repeat of instructions for for Windows users.

When should I use the software?

On or after 12 noon on Monday 4th February.  But NOT BEFORE.  Please
run the software as soon after that time as possible. The Old number
will stop working on 27-2-02 and there will be times before then when
we will be turning the old system off to encourage people to make the
change.

Do I have to be online to run the software?

No you should be offline when running the software.

Do I need to check the software for viruses?

This is the ONLY time we recommend you to open an attachment without
scanning it for viruses first. This file has been scanned by us and
is attached to a PGP signed email to prove it is authentic.

How do I run the software?

If you know how to open attachments please save and run the file
NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe by double clicking on it. The process
will take about 30 seconds and you will get an on screen message
saying the software has completed its job. You can then close the
software by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of the
window. Shutdown and restart your computer.

I don't know how to save and run attachments, what should I do?

If you use Eudora
the file attachment should appear at this end of this message.  You
will see some blue underlined text with the words
'NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe'

Double click on the anywhere on the blue underlined text and it will
start the program. The process will take about 30 seconds and you
will get an on screen message saying the software has completed its
job. You can then close the software by clicking the X in the top
right hand corner of the window. Shutdown and restart your computer.

If you use Outlook Express.
You will see an icon with the text 'NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe'
beside it in the attachments bar.

Double click on the icon and you will asked. 'What would you like to
do with this file?'

Click the box next to 'open it' and press the OK button.

You will get a security warning.  Ignore it and press the OK button
and the program will run. The process will take about 30 seconds and
you will get an on screen message saying the software has completed
its job. You can then close the software by clicking the X in the top
right hand corner of the window. Shutdown and restart your computer.

What should I do when I have installed the software?

When your computer has restarted try connecting to the Internet or
try sending and receiving some mail you should be using the new
number!

What should I do if I get any error messages or need some help?

You should phone support on 0845 055 4011