[Greennet-l] Updated Software for 4-2-02 VERY IMPORTANT

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Wed Jan 30 09:40:40 GMT 2002

Dear GreenNet Users,

Yesterday we sent out some software to you to make the number change.
 We realised that we needed to incorporate two more features
therefore the software SHOULD NOT BE USED.  Delete it and the email
that came with it.  Please accept our apologies for any confusion.

Attached to this message is the new software which is suitable for
all Windows systems apart from 3.x. We have called this
NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe (note the different name) this is a
final and complete version and has been tested with: Windows
95/98/ME/NT/2000 and is suitable for Windows XP. It has been tested
with the following email programs
Outlook: 97, 2000 and 2002.  Outlook Express: 4.* 5.* and will work
on 6.  Eudora: Light, Pro, 4.* 5.*) You must reboot your computer
after installing the software.

We have included a copy of the original message.  Please follow the
instructions very carefully we have made a few amendments since
yesterday.

Dear GreenNet Users,

IMPORTANT: DO NOT USE THIS SOFTWARE UNTIL AFTER 12 NOON ON MONDAY 4th
FEBRUARY.

If you do not already know about the number change please go to
http://www.gn.apc.org/support/changedialup.htm

Attached to this email is the software that you will need to run to
change over to our new dial up number. You do not need to do anything
yet, although you may want to save the software on your desktop if
you know how to do that.

You can also download the software from
http://www.gn.apc.org/support/changedialup.htm

Remember that this software is only for Windows (all versions apart
from 3.x.  If you have another system please call GreenNet after the
4th Feb for instructions or our support team will talk you through
the changes.

When should I use the software?

On or after 12 noon on Monday 4th February.  But NOT BEFORE.  Please
run the software as soon after that time as possible. The Old number
will stop working on 27-2-02 and there will be times before then when
we will be turning the old system off to encourage people to make the
change.

Do I have to be online to run the software?

No you should be offline when running the software.

Do I need to check the software for viruses?

This is the ONLY time we recommend you to open an attachment without
scanning it for viruses first. This file has been scanned by us and
is attached to a PGP signed email to prove it is authentic.

How do I run the software?

If you know how to open attachments please save and run the file
NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe by double clicking on it. The process
will take about 30 seconds and you will get an on screen message
saying the software has completed its job. You can then close the
software by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of the
window. Shutdown and restart your computer.

I don't know how to save and run attachments, what should I do?

If you use Eudora
the file attachment should appear at this end of this message.  You
will see some blue underlined text with the words
'NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe'

Double click on the anywhere on the blue underlined text and it will
start the program. The process will take about 30 seconds and you
will get an on screen message saying the software has completed its
job. You can then close the software by clicking the X in the top
right hand corner of the window. Shutdown and restart your computer.

If you use Outlook Express.
You will see an icon with the text 'NewGreenNetupdater30-1-02.exe'
beside it in the attachments bar.

Double click on the icon and you will asked. 'What would you like to
do with this file?'

Click the box next to 'open it' and press the OK button.

You will get a security warning.  Ignore it and press the OK button
and the program will run. The process will take about 30 seconds and
you will get an on screen message saying the software has completed
its job. You can then close the software by clicking the X in the top
right hand corner of the window. Shutdown and restart your computer.

What should I do when I have installed the software?

When your computer has restarted try connecting to the Internet or
try sending and receiving some mail you should be using the new
number!

What should I do if I get any error messages or need some help?

You should phone support on 0845 055 4011