[Greennet-l] GreenNet Newsletter: Spring 2004

Joanne Doyle joanne at gn.apc.org
Wed Apr 28 17:02:23 BST 2004

GreenNet Newsletter: Spring 2004

GREENNET SERVICES/
SUPPORT NEWS/
ONLINE RESOURCES/
WSIS UK/
INTERNET RIGHTS/
GREENNET STAFFING/
GREENNET TRAINING/

Find this edition of the GreenNet Newsletter online at:
- --> www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/n_spr04.html

The GreenNet Newsletter is a quarterly e-bulletin for our user
community on strategic uses of the Internet to promote social justice
and equality. From GreenNet, an online community for peace, the
environment, civil rights and social justice since 1986.

Past issues online at:
- --> www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/

GREENNET SERVICES

SERVICES QUESTIONNAIRE

In the last newsletter, we asked that you help us with planning new
services, and developing existing ones, by filling in an online
questionnaire - thanks to the few individuals and organisations that
did this...for those of you who haven't (and that's a lot of you!),
please, please take the time to fill it in - it won't take longer
than 10 minutes and it will really help us!

Fill in the questionnaire here:
http://www.gn.apc.org/services/questionnaire.shtml

Any questions or comments, please send to wwwadmin at gn.apc.org

SUPPORT NEWS

COMBATTING SPAM

Over the next few days, GreenNet will be implementing a new and
currently very effective method of enhancing the ability of the mail
system to limit the amount of spam that is delivered to your mailbox
on a system level. Currently, the method's effectiveness reaches over
95%, with no legitimate mail ever being permanently blocked.

The method known as "greylisting" is based on simple observation
that, while ordinary mail system behaviour is to attempt to deliver
the message repeatedly in case of a temporary failure, most of the
spam is being delivered through special applications, which appear to
adopt the "fire-and-forget" methodology. We setup our servers to
refuse the first delivery attempt, and only accept the second and any
consequent ones from the same sender to the same recipient for a
certain period of time.

Although the method has been designed to minimize the impact on the
end users,
due to it's nature you may experience some delays in email delivery.

However, the main difference is a significant decrease of unsolicited
email in your mailbox.

Further reading:
http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

ONLINE RESOURCES

A few resources that were added to ItrainOnline during March that you
may find interesting:

1. Chat and instant messaging -
Step-by-step guide to getting started with instant messaging:
- --> www.bigblueball.com/IM/step-1.asp
Brief introduction to chat and instant messaging:
- --> www.techsoup.org/howto/articlepage.cfm?ArticleId=122&topicid=5

2. Blogging
Three simple introductions to blogs and where to find them -
OF BLOGS AND BLOGGERS:
- --> www.learnthenet.com/english/html/82blog.htm
BLOGGING:
- --> www.austinfree.net/curricula/blogging_curriculum.html
AN INTRODUCTION TO WEBLOGS:
- -->
www.techsoup.org/howto/articlepage.cfm?ArticleId=439&cg=searchterms&sg
=blog

3. RSS
Guide to using RSS for non-technical users:
- --> www.faganfinder.com/search/rss.shtml
Step-by-step guide to setting up an RSS feed:
- -->
http://www.downes.ca/cgi-bin/website/view.cgi?dbs=Article&key=10595033
86
Sharing your site with RSS:
- --> http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/03/17/index3a.html

WSIS UK

In general, there has been little interest in the WSIS process in the
UK outside of a small number of groups who have been active through
their international networks (eg APC, AMARC, WACC), a few gender
advocacy groups and those sponsored or encouraged by the British
Council to participate.

Currently, there is no discussion around UK participation in WSIS II,
but there is great interest in awareness raising, animation and
mobilisation around ICT policy, information and communication more
broadly. There are three primary sources of motivation for ongoing
work in this area in the UK: from UK based groups who have been
active in WSIS (such as those noted above); from CRIS (Communication
Rights in the Information Society) members in the UK and from UK and
European groups who are advocating for a strong Media and ICT theme
in the 2004 European Social Forum to be held in London, October
14-17th.

It is in this context that GreenNet has called for a series of
consultation and planning meetings. We believe that generating
enthusiasm for a comprehensive range of activities hinged around the
ESF will also have 'spinoff's in terms of re-animating interest in
WSIS II and other related ICT policy processes.

There have been 2 meetings to date, following on from which, Karen
Banks (GreenNet Director), APC, submitted a concept paper for Media,
Culture and Communication to the ESF programme committee.

Information about the ESF:
http://www.esf2004.net

INTERNET RIGHTS

We are very excited to announce the relaunch of our UK Internet
Rights site, now fully integrated with an international network of
National ICT Policy and Internet Rights sites. The work is an
activity of the Association For Progressive Communications (APC)
Communications and Information policy programme (CIPP) funded by the
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA).

The new look site includes plenty of news, as well as background to
policy, legislation and how to get involved in ICT issues. This is
still in progress, with material being transferred to the new content
management system from the old site and new content being added.
Please have a look and let us know what you think, and any
contributions you would like to make, links we should add etc. Email:
ir at gn.apc.org

Check out the site at:
http://www.internetrights.org.uk

Visit the revamped APC ICT policy and IR site here:
http://www.apc.org/english/rights/index.shtml

GREENNET STAFFING

In May, GreenNet sees a few staffing changes come into place.

The GreenNet Collective is sadly saying goodbye to our Finance
Officer, Hattie
Yannaghas and our Coordinator, Joanne  Doyle. Joanne and Hattie have
worked
with us for more than 4 years now and have made a tremendous
contribution to
the Collective. They'll be missed for their skill and comittment in
all the
work they've done, for the energy and ideas they've brought to
GreenNet, and
for the fun it's been working alongside them both. We wish them lots
of love
and success for the new paths they're taking now.

On a happier note, we're delighted to welcome Deepak Koirala who will
take on
the position of finance officer. Deepak is a chartered accountant
with many
years experience working within the NGO sector. Look out for more
news from him
on billing issues shortly :)

We're also thrilled to be welcoming Marek Tichy - our long-time
technical
consultant - back to London from Prague. Marek's background is in
database
management and systems administration. He'll be working on lots of
technical
innovations on the system, and developing a number of different web
projects.
More news on all of those as they go live.

GREENNET TRAINING

WEB DESIGN USING DREAMWEAVER

Macromedia Dreamweaver is fast becoming the de rigeur tool for web
designers the world over. This 2 day course will familiarise you with
dreamweaver and take you from creating a site to getting your site
on-line.

The course is intended for those with some computer experience &
includes practical hands-on project work. By the end of the course
you will; understand the principles of the World Wide Web; have a
practical understanding of how to build, update and publish a web
site using Dreamweaver; understand the key principles of web design &
site promotion.

Upcoming courses (10.30-17.30 both days):

May: Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th
June: Friday 11th and Friday 18th
July: Tuesday 13th and Tuesday 20th

Full course outline available online at:
http://www.gn.apc.org/training/web.html#dream

Trainings are held at our offices, Islington, London
(http://www.gn.apc.org/training/where.html), although it is possible
to organise trainings at your offices if there are 2 or more people.
Further information from adrian at gn.apc.org

What people have said about the course:

'We've gone through everything that was necessary, had all the
questions answered, got help from Adrian on problems with our private
sites and graphics. Good and friendly atmosphere. Thanks!'
- - Justyna Josefiak

'Excellent value for money'
- - Nick Orosz

'I knew very little about dreamweaver and now feel confident enough
to make a start on my site. It was all very helpful.'
- - Philippa Oldmeadow, Community Media Association

GreenNet Newsletter: A quarterly e-bulletin for our user community on
strategic uses of the Internet to promote social justice and
equality. From GreenNet, an online community for peace, the
environment, civil rights and social justice since 1986.

Past issues of GreenNet Newsletter:
http://www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/

If you have any questions about any of the news in the edition of our
newsletter, please get in contact with us. We are happy to go through
any of the services outlined or any queries you may have, email:
support at gn.apc.org.

This edition of the GreenNet Newsletter is edited by Joanne Doyle on
behalf of the GreenNet Collective.