[Greennet-l] Virus warning: ZIP attachments not accepted

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Tue Jan 27 14:36:31 GMT 2004

Dear Members,

Please be warned that there is a major outbreak of a Windows computer
virus called 'MyDoom' or 'Novarg'.  You may receive a serious of messages
with subject lines like 'Test', 'hello' or 'Hi' with a 32K attachment.  As
usual with unsolicited attachments, you are advised to delete these
messages without opening them.  Updating antivirus software
is also recommended.

For more information see:
http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/mydoom.html
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=841769

While our servers have been rejecting most of these viruses since last
night, as an additional precaution we are also rejecting all messages
with a .zip (compressed archive) file extension from 1pm today until the
attack ends.  If you are intending to send or receive files in ZIPped
format, we'd suggest sending uncompressed or in a different archive format
for the time being.

Best wishes,

Cedric Knight

GreenNet Support
--
Participate in GreenNet's online community, help other users, get help from other users, and GreenNet Support: http://phorum.greennet.org.uk/index.php?f=2

GreenNet supports and promotes groups and individuals working for peace, human rights and the environment through the use of information and communication technologies.

GreenNet, Lancaster House, 33 Islington High Street, London N1 9PF
Tel: UK 0845 055 4011 (Intl +44) 20 7713 1941 Fax: (Intl +44) 020 7837 5551