[Greennet-l] GreenNet Winter 2011 Newsletter

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Wed Dec 21 17:51:20 GMT 2011

  GreenNet

Dear Member

December 2011

      It's not over yet, but 2011 looks like being quite an entry in
      the Annals of Protest history. Through UK Uncut, Anonymous,
      Tunis, Tahrir Square, Occupy St. Pauls, Liberty Square,
      Damascus and Athens, people are networking for change and
      their voices are getting louder.

But experience - and the on-going imprisonment of our brave friend
and colleague Alaa Abd El Fattah
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/02/egyptian-activist-alaa-accuses-army>
- shows us that as these networks get stronger, there's always more
work to do defending and protecting the right to protest.

And so in a small office overlooking a dug-out car park in
Shoreditch, you'll still find our band of merry-ish techies working
hard to keep your email, mailing lists and web content safe from
snooping government officials and increasingly ingenious spammers.

Our own eclectic collection of edited highlights for the year
includes commissioning the UK chapter for the APC's report on
internet, human rights and social resistance
<http://giswatch.org/en/country-report/social-mobilisation/united-kingdom>,
massively increasing everyone's web space allowance, extending our
web portfolio with some great new Drupal sites
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects> and a new blog-style
site service <http://www.gn.apc.org/services/blog-hosting> for
less-frills users, plus an easy-access filing cabinet
<http://www.gn.apc.org/services/filestores> option for anyone that
needs to work on the move.

Our web projects this year include:

Coops2012
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/international-year-cooperatives>
	Privacy International
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/privacy-international>
Electronic Immigration Network
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/electronic-immigration-network-0>
	Publish What You Pay redesign
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/publish-what-you-pay>
Fan Mex
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/freshwater-action-network-mexico>
	Positive Energy
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/positive-energy>
Datum International
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/datum-international>
WRRC
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects/women-reclaiming-and-redefining-culture>

We're also thrilled to announce and welcome our new in-house
designer Sarah Macbeth to the collective.

And in spite of recession gloom, 2012 looks like being no less
productive - with new sites set to launch for Conciliation
Resources, the Open Doors sexual health clinic, the European
Database of Asylum law, FERN's book about the truth on Carbon
Trading, and an exciting new members meeting tool for the Woodcraft
folk.

Do also remember that the GreenNet office will be closed from 26th
December and will re-open on 3rd January. During this time we will
be monitoring our systems as usual, so if you have an urgent query,
send an email to support at gn.apc.org <mailto:support at gn.apc.org> or
leave a message on 020 7065 0942.

Meanwhile don't forget to periodically switch off your own computers
(don't leave them on standby) and take a break!

With all our best wishes for a peaceful and happy holiday,

Andrew, Anna, Cedric, Howard, Ian, Liz, Marek, Michael and Sarah

      GreenNet is the ethical Internet Service Provider that has
      been connecting people and groups who work for peace, the
      environment, gender equality and human rights since 1986.

We hope that you are happy to receive our newsletter. If not, simply
unsubscribe here
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/options/greennet-l> and you
will not receive it in the future.

GreenNet, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
Tel (UK): 0845 055 4011 Tel (int'l): +44 (0)20 7065 0935
Fax: +44 (0)20 7065 0936. Email: info at gn.apc.org
<mailto:info at gn.apc.org>