[Greennet-l] GreenNet Spring 2012 Newsletter

GreenNet Support support at gn.apc.org
Tue Apr 24 18:03:40 BST 2012

  GreenNet

Dear Member

*April 2012*

      This season's newsletter has good news from GreenNet and info on
      the bad news from Government.

        Good web space news

We're pleased to let you know that the web space included in your
GreenNet membership just got ten times bigger!

So if your package previously included 100 megabytes of web space, it
now gives you 1 gigabyte (1000 megabytes), and for those of you who used
to have a limit of 500 megabytes, you now have 5 gigabytes. We're hoping
the extra space will make it less of a squeeze to fit all the PDFs,
images, audio and video that you might want to include in your web space.

Of course, if you've only got a mailbox or a filestore with us at the
moment this news won't affect you. On the other hand if you're thinking
about creating a web site, we can now add 1GB of web space to a
mailbox-only membership for as little as an extra £12 a year. As before,
we still have no practical bandwidth limitations except fair use, so
there are no penalties for campaign websites that 'go viral'.

The full range of web space allocations for our packages is now as follows:

*Home Activist* 	1 Gigabyte
*Home Activist Plus * 	1 Gigabyte
*Small Group * 	2 Gigabytes
*Organisation* 	5 Gigabytes

And if you still need extra web space to add onto these packages,
additional web space
<http://www.gn.apc.org/services/web-hosting-features#webspace> is also
now available in larger units (1 gigabyte for the old price of 100
megabytes).

For those of you who were previously paying for additional web space and
no longer need it, we will have automatically adjusted that in your next
GreenNet bill. Do contact billing at gn.apc.org <mailto:billing at gn.apc.org>
if you have any concerns or questions regarding this change.

      Bad Government news

Several people have contacted us to ask if we have any more information
about the government's new Communications Capability Development Plan
(CCDP)
<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=8227>,
also known as the "snoopers' charter" or the "zombie surveillance
state", which hit the headlines on 1 April in a big way after a few
months of bubbling under.

Unfortunately we haven't. We've had no direct contact about it from the
Government, and only vague murmurings though ISPA (Internet Service
Provider's Association), so are still waiting for firmer information
about what is involved, whether blanket data retention (to which we
remain opposed), or black boxes allowing access to more "communications
data" (who you talk to, and when) without a warrant.

Our friends in Privacy International
<https://www.privacyinternational.org/blog/faq-the-communications-capabilities-development-programme#footnoteref2_afseeri>
and Open Rights Group
<http://action.openrightsgroup.org/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=1422&ea.campaign.id=8227>
are
keeping a close eye on it (follow links for more details). The 38degrees
and Avaaz campaigns are also worth supporting although a little short on
detail, and it is certainly worth expressing concern to your MP.

With best wishes from all at the GreenNet Collective,

Andrew, Anna, Cedric, Howard, Ian, Liz, Marek, Michael and Sarah

      GreenNet is the ethical Internet Service Provider that has been
      connecting people and groups who work for peace, the environment,
      gender equality and human rights since 1986.

We hope that you are happy to receive our newsletter. If not, simply
unsubscribe here
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/greennet-l> and you
will not receive it in future.

GreenNet, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
Tel (UK): 0845 055 4011 Tel (int'l): +44 (0)20 7065 0935
Fax: +44 (0)20 7065 0936. Email: info at gn.apc.org <mailto:info at gn.apc.org>