GreenNet Winter 2014 Newsletter

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Wed Dec 24 13:06:04 GMT 2014

GreenNet logo <http://www.gn.apc.org/>
GreenNet decorations
Dear Member,
*December 2014*

We'd like to thank you for your support in 2014 and wish you a very
merry festive season.

To see when our office is closed for the holidays, please skip
<#opening> to the end of this message.

Uptime update

We're celebrating our first (nearly) full calendar year at our new
data centre, where we have had no downtime, other than our
occasional scheduled server maintenance. We have two independent
power supplies which we are able to switch between automatically if
one goes down, but have not needed to all year. Both power supplies
are from 100% wind and tidal renewables.

Find out more about the complexities of renewable power on our site
at http://www.gn.apc.org/about/our-green-credentials

We have plans in 2015 to continue to improve our systems to provide
seamless service and defend against online attacks.

GreenNet site directory

For many years, GreenNet maintained a list of progressive
organisations and links to their websites. At the moment this
directory is at http://www.gn.apc.org/network/tag-cloud and we're
currently in the process of belatedly bringing it up to date. If you
have a site hosted with or designed by GreenNet, we will presume
that you are happy to be added to this list – if for any reason,
you're not, please say. Also, if you know any great new online
resources for activists in the fields of peace, environment or human
rights that we might miss, then please do let us know by email to
directory at gn.apc.org <mailto:directory at gn.apc.org>

Legal news...

Our case against GCHQ about unwarranted intrusion and hacking
continues, after the Investigatory Powers Tribunal ruled in a linked
case <https://www.privacyinternational.org/node/3> that the tapping
of undersea cables was in principle legal.

The UK government has until 5 January 2015 to submit evidence in the
case we are taking along with Privacy International, Greenhost (NL),
JinboNet (S Korea), May First / People Link (US/Mexico), Riseup
(US), MangoNet (Zimbabwe), and Chaos Computer Club (Germany). We'll
keep you posted.

Techie Christmas Carol

To the tune of "While Shepherds Watched":

/While techies watched their servers by night
All bolted in the racks
The update from Debian came down
To stop break-in attacks//
////
//"Fear not" said it, for news reports
Had seized their troubled minds
"Glad tidings of fixes I bring
To you and all mankind"//
////
//etc.
/
Well, Andrew here amused us with it. You may hear about encryption
and security holes, but we have them well-covered with the help of
the free software community.

Christmas Opening

*The GreenNet office will be closed from midday on 24th December
2014 and will reopen fully on Monday 5th January 2015.
*
As always, we will be monitoring our servers throughout the festive
period. If you have an urgent query during this time, please send an
email to support at gn.apc.org <mailto:support at gn.apc.org> or leave a
message on 020 7065 0942. We'll do our best to respond as soon as we
can.

Meanwhile don't forget to switch off your own devices (don't leave
them on standby) and have a lovely break!

With all our best wishes for a peaceful and happy holiday, Andrew,
Cedric, Ed, Howard, Ian, Liz, Marek and Sarah

        GreenNet is the ethical Internet Service Provider that has
        been connecting people and groups who work for peace, the
        environment, gender equality and human rights since 1986.

We hope that you are happy to receive our newsletter. If not, simply
unsubscribe here
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/options/greennet-l> and you
will not receive it in future.

GreenNet, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
Tel (UK): 0845 055 4011 Tel (int'l): +44 (0)20 7065 0935
Email: info at gn.apc.org <mailto:info at gn.apc.org>  Twitter:
@GreenNetISP <https://twitter.com/GreenNetISP>