GreenNet News: Domains, Design and Dial-up

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Fri Oct 10 18:57:57 BST 2014

  GreenNet <http://www.gn.apc.org>

      Newsletter October 2014

Dear member

We've got news for you...

    New top-level domains available

        domainsYou may have heard about new domain name extensions
        being launched - visit our website to see what's available
        <http://www.gn.apc.org/services/new-gtlds>.

Some that you might be interested in are:

.uk: You can now register domain names directly under .uk. These sit
alongside the existing .co.uk, .org.uk, .me.uk, etc names, and if
you have existing registrations with these endings you will normally
have a right of first refusal on the equivalent .uk name.

For more information about how these will work, see
http://www.dotuklaunch.co.uk/im-existing-customer

.wales & .cymru: The new .wales & .cymru domain names are being
launched by Nominet (who manage .uk), beginning in September with
pre-registrations for trademark holders and others who are using a
name in Wales, followed by a general pre-registration period and
then a full launch in March 2015. You can find out more at
http://ourhomeonline.org.uk or http://eincartrefarlein.org.uk

.ngo: New .ngo domains will be launching in October - to check
whether you're eligible, visit
http://globalngo.org/discover/eligibility or *contact us* for more
information <mailto:info at gn.apc.org>.

    What is Responsive design?

Responsive design devices

        Responsive design is becoming the norm in web design. We are
        now two years into making responsively designed websites for
        clients and the feedback has been really good.

The designs use fluid layouts and images to adapt to multiple
desktop, tablet & mobile devices. We take a 'Mobile First
<http://www.copyblogger.com/mobile-first/>' approach then work up to
a larger desktop version.

Responsive sites we have recently launched:

  * Open Doors http://opendoors.nhs.uk/
  * Right to Education http://right-to-education.org/
  * The Light http://thelightateuston.org.uk/

Contact *Edward Maw* <mailto:emaw at gn.apc.org> for more details.

    Death of dial-up

Dial up is deadHas dial-up finally gone the way of the diplodocus?
We think so. After offering customers access to the internet via
soundwaves down a telephone line for over two decades, *we've
finally ceased providing dial-up connectivity as a backup for our
broadband customers*.

We don't think that anyone will miss it, as the 56Kb/s limit on the
speed of the connection makes it almost impossible to experience the
modern internet.

In case anyone needs an emergency dial up there are masses of free
numbers, perhaps it's worth making a note of one on paper, retro style.

And in case you feel nostalgic for those funny sounds, you can
relive the nineties here:
http://soundcloud.com/john-pemberton/modem-dialup

Watch this space for more regular updates.

With best wishes from all at the GreenNet Collective,

Andrew, Cedric, Ed, Howard, Ian, Liz, Marek, and Sarah

        GreenNet is the ethical Internet Service Provider that has
        been connecting people and groups who work for peace, the
        environment, gender equality and human rights since 1986.

We hope that you are happy to receive our newsletter. If not, simply
unsubscribe here
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/listinfo/greennet-l> and you
will not receive it in future.

GreenNet, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
Tel (UK): 0845 055 4011 Tel (int'l): +44 (0)20 7065 0935 Twitter:
@GreenNetISP <https://twitter.com/greennetisp>
Fax: +44 (0)20 7065 0936. Email: info at gn.apc.org
<mailto:info at gn.apc.org> Website: www.gn.apc.org <http://www.gn.apc.org>

Responsive email Responsive email Responsive email