GreenNet Winter Solstice Newsletter

GreenNet Support support at gn.apc.org
Tue Dec 22 17:29:29 GMT 2015

GreenNet logo <http://www.gn.apc.org/>
GreenNet decorations
Dear GreenNet friends,
*December 2015*

We'd like to thank you for your support in 2015 and wish you a very
merry festive season. To see when our office is closed for the
holidays, please skip <#opening> to the end of this message.

        2015 in short

*In the past year we:* started growing our own veg in the
Development House garden · got a new designer (hello, Sophie
<http://www.gn.apc.org/about/who-we-are>!) · did battle with GCHQ ·
drank an unprecedented amount of coffee (zing!) · handled 19,356
support emails and hundreds of support calls · we helped take down
2,462 phishing pages · launched 12 shiny new websites
<http://www.gn.apc.org/portfolio/webprojects> and 8 new virtual
servers· applied over 300 critical security patches to keep drupal
websites safe/
/

        Our case against GCHQ

Our case against GCHQ's suspicionless intrusion and hacking, brought
along with Privacy International
<www.privacyinternational.org/node/681> and several progressive
service providers outside the UK, continues. The main public
evidence was heard on 1-4 December at the secretive Investigatory
Powers Tribunal, and is very relevant to threatened new mass
surveillance (and mass hacking) powers
<https://www.dontspyonus.org.uk/blog/2015/11/04/dont-spy-on-us-response-to-the-draft-investigatory-powers-bill/>
currently before Parliament. For more information, see our blog
<https://www.gn.apc.org/node/9622>, follow us on Twitter
<https://twitter.com/GreenNetISP>, or contact us in the usual way
<mailto:info+p at gn.apc.org>.

The case had a fair bit more mainstream media attention and we were
really proud to have been nominated, alongside Privacy
International, for ISPA's internet heroes of the year award 2015
<http://www.ispa.org.uk/internet-hero-and-internet-villain-shortlists-dominated-by-surveillance/>.

        Sepp Blatter, our part in his downfall

Our old friend, investigative journalist and dogged anti-corruption
sleuth Andrew Jennings
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06tkl9d/panorama-fifa-sepp-blatter-and-me>,
has scored a huge victory with the recent and continuing swoops on
FIFA bosses. His site was targeted with a massive DDoS attack that
took out our servers (and many others) in August 2013.

                /We are Many/ and the "Stephen Fry effect"

        Congratulations to @amiramirani
        <https://twitter.com/amiramirani> on the launch of his
        superb film <http://wearemany.com/> on the anti-war rally of
        2003. Our hosting withstood a thunderclap of hits when Fry,
        @rustyrockets and other twitter big beasts tweeted about his
        site.

                                                        APC News

                                                Liz recently
                                                attended the
                                                Internet Governance
                                                Forum in Brazil,
                                                where a strong APC
                                                presence demanded
                                                that civil society's
                                                voice was heard
                                                amongst the
                                                governments,
                                                corporations and
                                                technical bodies
                                                vying to control the
                                                internet. Nadine
                                                Moawad gave a moving
                                                speech at the
                                                closing ceremony
                                                <https://www.apc.org/en/news/keep-fighting-free-and-open-internet-if-not-we-are>
                                                "Keep fighting for a
                                                free and open
                                                internet - if not,
                                                we are going to lose
                                                it".

        We congratulate APC on their 25th anniversary, which was
        celebrated in Brazil and with collections of memories and
        photos <https://www.apc.org/es/apc25> being gathered together.

        The 2015 edition of GISWATCH
        <https://www.giswatch.org/2015-sexual-rights-and-internet>
        presents stories from around the world on how the politics
        of sex and sexual rights activism takes place online

        The 2015 Take Back the Tech! campaign was all about
        strengthening solidarity after the vicious twitter hashtag
        attack that took place in October. Many inspiring stories
        have been shared this year, you can read/watch/listen to
        them on the global campaign site
        <https://www.takebackthetech.net/survivor-stories>.

                                                                GreenCloud

                                                        Need an
                                                        alternative
                                                        to Dropbox,
                                                        Go**gle docs
                                                        etc? If you
                                                        don't want
                                                        to entrust
                                                        all your
                                                        online
                                                        documents,data
                                                        and
                                                        information
                                                        to the
                                                        corporates,
                                                        we offer our
                                                        GreenCloud
                                                        service
                                                        <http://www.gn.apc.org/services/greencloud>
                                                        both for
                                                        individuals
                                                        & groups.
                                                        Using the
                                                        free/open-source
                                                        ownCloud
                                                        software,
                                                        you get a
                                                        secure space
                                                        to store
                                                        your files,
                                                        calendars,
                                                        and contact
                                                        lists, all
                                                        managed by
                                                        you and
                                                        hosted on
                                                        GreenNet
                                                        servers in
                                                        the UK.
                                                        We've been
                                                        using it
                                                        ourselves
                                                        for a while
                                                        now, and
                                                        think it's
                                                        rather nifty

        In 2016...

We'll carry on offering an array of different online services to
connect you and your campaigns up, from renewably powered hosting
<http://www.gn.apc.org/about/our-green-credentials> to broadband,
web design for big and little sites, and the best spam filtering you
can get on your email account.

Our plans for next year include offering "superfast" broadband
through fibre to the cabinet, and launching our shiny new website.
Despite all things retro being back in style, we decided that our
vintage corner of the web could do with an update. After all, we
spend a lot of time designing other not-for-profits' websites, so
could smarten up a bit... We hope you'll like it!

        Christmas opening hours

*The GreenNet office will be closed from midday on 24th December
2015 and will reopen fully on Monday 4th January 2015.*

As always, we will be monitoring our servers throughout the festive
period. If you have an urgent query during this time, please send an
email to support at gn.apc.org <mailto:support at gn.apc.org> or leave a
message on 020 7065 0942. We'll do our best to respond as soon as we
can.

Meanwhile don't forget to switch off your own devices (don't leave
them on standby) and have a lovely break!

        With all our best wishes for a peaceful and happy holiday,

Andrew, Cedric, Ed, Howard, Ian, Liz, Marek and Sophie

	Christmas tree

          GreenNet is the ethical Internet Service Provider that has
          been connecting people and groups who work for peace, the
          environment, gender equality and human rights since 1986.

We hope that you are happy to receive our newsletter. If not, simply
unsubscribe here
<http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/mailman/options/greennet-l> and you
will not receive it in future. Previous years' newsletters can be
read here <http://mailman.greennet.org.uk/pipermail/greennet-l/>.

GreenNet, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street, London EC2A 4LT.
Phone: +44 (0)20 7065 0935
Email: info at gn.apc.org <mailto:info at gn.apc.org> Twitter:
@GreenNetISP <https://twitter.com/GreenNetISP> Website: www.gn.apc.org