[Lac] Creative Commons Licensing for Developing Countries.

Diego Saravia dsa at unsa.edu.ar
Sat Sep 18 04:43:22 BST 2004

> This is not a new discussion. The Digital Divide has many factors; they
> are constantly debated. Oddly enough, the commonality which I
> approach them is actually geo-socio-economic in nature. However,
> other members on the Digital Divide list don't necessarily agree
> with this, stating that the Digital Divide is also affected by age,
>  race and gender.

I do not believe in intrinsec racial or gender human diferences
if there are important diferences they are social and caused by poverty, and
social exclusion.

Age is a natural and universal issue, I do not think age issues could be
associated with digital divide.

> Your opinion and mine are close, yet I don't agree with you because I
> know some people who are within the bracket for being able to afford
> a computer and internet access, but simply aren't able to access the
> internet because of poor phone lines or complete lack of them. These
> are usually related to infrastructural issues... and these fall
> under ICT as well. Honestly, I started off thinking it was just
> poverty as well, but based on what I've been discussing with people
> over the last few years my opinion has shifted.

ok geografic issues are important and not directly related to poverty,
because  you can have a medium class man in the midle of nowhere, and could
be very expensive to have a conection.

but it is not a social issue, we can not really fix it, its a technical
problem, when we find tech alternatives it could be conected.

We could ask for governamental support and  subsidies. I think it is correct
in this case.

You find a digital divide issue not related to poverty :)

> The Digital Divide is a very complex issue. If you really want to
> discuss the Digital Divide at length, may I suggest joining the Digital
> Divide mailing list?

I have not time for that now, tanks!

either.
> http://www.knowprose.com/node/view/120
> Pekka Himanen is a good writer, but a lot of that is based off of the
> Western philosophy, and it doesn't fit too well with Eastern Philosophy
> because of it's dealing only with the Protestant Ethic.
> The recent book of Paul Graham is also of note - Hackers and
> Painters - though I don't completely agree with the analogy of Painters.
> http://www.knowprose.com/node/view/124
>
> The real book I would suggest is out of print, I think - "Technology
> and Creativity" by Das Gupta. ISBN 0195096886
>
> Free Software doesn't mean anything without computers. Computers require
> money. Even when writing GPL code, someone has to pay for the food
> and coffee. Sometimes it's the individual.

yes, computers do not mean anything without people :)
we do not eat bandwith. bandwith once installed its there.
you have no marginal cost for its use.

> [...]
> people in the United States, as an example, will not gain much from
> this. But inadvertently they do, because their country has the
> information. Without such a license, developing nations would be more
> than likely be required by TRIPs to *pay* for the same information. And
> this license kills TRIPs effect on that. ;-)
>
> >>If people have to spend less money on content and software, then they
> >>would have more money for equipment. Wouldn't you agree?
> >>

> >yes.
> >

> >>Sadly, there will always be 'poor people', simply because there will
> >>always be people with more.
> >>

> >I do not accept that statement, we can have diversity, without poverty.
> >
> >If you wish to live in a society without
> >

> >>poor people, then you wish to live in a society without rich people.
> >>

> >not at all.
> >
> >Could I read your book? I am not poor, nor rich, but I live in a
> >"developing" country.
> >
> Ahh. There's been a misunderstanding. The phrase 'In my book' is a
> colloquialism, it's another way of writing 'my thoughts are'.
>
> I do not think that you understand the relativity of which I spoke.
> Without short people, there would be no tall people. If people were all
> the same height, the words 'short' and 'tall' would have no meaning.
> The same with rich and poor. In fact, without rich AND poor, there
> would be no middle class. It would just all be the same. Everyone
> would have exactly the same amount and quality of everything.
>
> If we go one step further and allow no person to own anything, and
> everything belongs to the community, we have communism. And that's where
> the people who call Free Software 'Communist' get that twisted idea -
> Free Software is certainly not about Communism. And people do *own* the
> software because of the rights given, though the owner of the Copyright
> must bestow these rights. I think it was RMS who said, 'The concept
> of sharing with my neighbour is not communism', or something like that.
>
> But I digress. I think when you are talking about poverty, you are
> talking about the degree with which one is poor - and that's
> something I agree with, to a point. I think that the degree needs to
> decrease significantly, but for better or worse there will always be
> 'poor' and 'rich' - and the 'middle class'.
>
> This is an interesting discussion. Perhaps we should continue it offlist
> instead of boring everyone else with it? Of course, if nobody has a
> problem, it might be good to have it on the list and promote further
> discussion. It's always good to hear other perspectives. :)
>
> --
> Taran Rampersad
>
> cnd at knowprose.com
>
> http://www.linuxgazette.com
> http://www.a42.com
> http://www.worldchanging.com
> http://www.knowprose.com
> http://www.easylum.net
>
> "A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of
[WINDOWS-1252?]> business."— Henry Ford