ERNK: To The German Public Opinion

kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 6 21:17:39 BST 1995

From: kcc at magi.com (Kurdistan Committee of Canada)
Subject: ERNK: To The German Public Opinion

National Liberation Front of Kurdistan (ERNK)
Press Release 29

For The German Public Opinion

     The people of Kurdistan have been subjected to a policy of
oppression and persecution tantamount to genocide in Turkey. This
unhindered state sanctioned terror, supported by Germany, is
consuming lives with every passing day.
     Internationally, pressure on Turkey is mounting for a
political solution, but Turkey still insists on its military
option. The peace overtures made by the Chair of the PKK, Mr.
Abdullah Ocalan, are disregarded; the calls for dialogue are
rebuffed. Lately, one can see a similar attitude on the part of the
German authorities relative to this question. A proof of this new
German policy was offered last week by the German ambassador to
Turkey. He noted that his government was prepared to defend
Turkey's interests. As the ambassador was making his statement,
civilians Kurds were being killed and the villages set on fire by
members of the Turkish armed forces. They were able to do these
deeds thanks to their well-supplied German weapons which are in
Turkish arsenals.
     As if these wrongs against the Kurds in their homeland were
not enough, the German authorities have now begun to attack the
Kurds in Germany as well. The police are now licensed to ban
Kurdish symbols at will. Raids are conducted on legal Kurdish
organizations; homes belonging to Kurds are searched. Other Kurds
are urged to work for the police. German jails now have a high
ratio of Kurds.
     There is a new twist to this policy of oppression against the
Kurds. On June 1, 1995, police raided a Kurdish-Turkish printing
house, Agri Verlag, and confiscated some 15 tons of books. This was
another way of saying we do not respect freedom of expression. Not
long ago, a similar practice of banning books was employed by
Hitler and his thugs; today, in Turkey, a similar practice is
carried out by the Turkish military against the Kurds.
     We consider these acts a provocation, especially considering
the fact that just last month the Chair of the PKK, Mr. Abdullah
Ocalan, made another call for peace in an exclusive interview with
the Reuters news agency. We realize that there are various opinions
circulating at the highest levels in the German government as to
what is the best way to deal with the Kurds. What is in effect now
is another way of saying: "We are behind you, Turkey!" To insist on
this policy is to provoke the Kurds. Those who want these policies
in force will be responsible for the acts that may ensue.

ERNK European Representation
June 5, 1995