Women In The Trade Union Movement

kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu
Tue Jun 27 22:51:29 BST 1995

From: kcc at magi.com (Kurdistan Committee of Canada)
Subject: Women In The Trade Union Movement

Women In The Trade Union Movement

     Kezban Oral has several years of experience in trade union
work. She was born in 1960 in Gerze in the region of Sinop. She has
worked for 13 years and has been a union official for 5. Oral
attended primary school and is married with one child. She spoke to
Berfin Sayli about her union activities and about the general
problems which women face.

What problems have you encountered doing union work?

Kezban Oral: Both the union officials as well as the employers seem
to view unions as man's work. At first, they didn't take us very
seriously and they thought we were weak. As women in the trade
unions, we first had to struggle against this. And then there was
the predominant attitude as far as class positions and the unions'
mass organizing was concerned. But our actions and the strength
which the base gave to us enabled us to move forward.

For several years, you were union secretary for Local 1 of the 'Tek
Gida-Is' food workers union. Could you tell us what difficulties
you experienced with the union leadership?

Kezban Oral: The year I became union secretary, we made a proposal
to celebrate March 8th in the union hall. They did not allow this.
So we instead celebrated March 8th on our own as Local 1 of the
'Tek Gida-Is'. The 'Tek Gida-Is' is very bureaucratic, its
leadership is loyal to the state, and it does not allow its local
bracnhes much autonomy. In the end, the locals which were formed in
subsequent years suffered from repression because we took part in
political platforms.

You were jailed for participating in May Day activities, you lost
your post as union secretary, and you were fired from your job.
Could you tell us something about that time?

Kezban Oral: May 1990 was an important step towards the
legalization of May Day. At that time, we as a platform decided to
hold actions outside of all the businesses. In line with this
decision, we held an action outside a Cola factory. We were
arrested along with 300 workers. I myself was arrested along with
a female worker from the Cola plant and imprisoned in Bayrampasa.
The state decided to punish us, but even the leadership of 'Tek
Gida-Is' did not remained inactive. They expelled the Cola
representative from our local. But even that wasn't enough for
them. They revoked the right of Local 1 to negotiate wage
contracts. Only after massive pressure from the workers did they
take back this decision. And when the workers voted for a strike,
they were not supported by the leadership. This once again
illustrated that the union leadership were opposed to all forms of
economic and democratic struggle. During this time, the chair of
our union local removed me from my position. Once again, the
workers applied pressure, and I was reinstated. But since I wasn't
a central union secretary, when I was arrested I also lost my job.
I am convinced that the union leadership played a role in having me
lose my job, because they didn't lift a finger to try and have me
reinstated. After I was convicted in court, the union leadership
officially denounced me in front of the governor and for the first
time they gave me written confirmation that I had lost my union
post.

You are now a working woman. Could you tell us about some of the
difficulties you face?

Kezban Oral: I don't have much time to develop myself, to read or
go to school. I usually get up quite early, so that I have a little
time to do some reading. I don't even have enough time to spend
with my child. Housework is a big problem.

Why haven't women played a more active role in workplace committees
or in the unions, although they are always on the front lines
during mass actions? Why are they so reluctant to take on positions
of responsibility?

Kezban Oral: That's because women haven't been able to develop
their own identity. The situation of women must be seen within the
condition of society as a whole. In society, the status of women is
determined by tradition and religion, things which hinder
development. The participation of women in actions is a first step
towards development, but they need to overcome their uncertainties
so as to be able to occupy leadership positions as well. But that
is dependent upon class consciousness.

Is there a women's movement in Turkey?

Kezban Oral: We can't really call it a women's movement. I don't
separate the struggle of women from the struggle of the working
class. There is a weak women's movement in Turkey, but as long it
fails to integrate working women into this movement it will not be
able to fulfil its mission. Recently, the EKB (Unity of Working
Women) was formed within the women's movement in order to reach out
to working women.

With what means can these problems be overcome?

Kezban Oral: Women must struggle in all areas they find themselves
in. Women's associations need to be formed, particularly of women
workers. Just as the workers are the vanguard in the society, so
too are women workers the vanguard of the masses of women. We have
to act based on this reality.

(Translated from Kurdistan-Rundbrief 5/95)

-----
Kurdistan Committee of Canada		Tel: (613) 733-9634
2487 Kaladar Ave. Suite 203		Fax: (613) 733-0090
Ottawa, Ontario, K1V 8B9		E-mail: kcc at magi.com
		http://infoweb.magi.com/~kcc
-----