PKK Chief Says Turkish PM Seeks Tal

kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 21 09:47:08 GMT 1996

From: Arm The Spirit <ats at locust.cic.net>
Subject: PKK Chief Says Turkish PM Seeks Talks

PKK Chief Says Turkish PM Seeks Talks

PARIS, Nov 20 (Reuter) - Kurdish rebel leader Abdullah Ocalan was quoted
on Wednesday as saying Turkish Islamist Prime Minister Necmettin Erbakan
had contacted his movement for peace talks but the Turkish army was
blocking a dialogue.

Ocalan, leader of the radical Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK), told the
French daily Le Figaro: ``We are waging war to force Turkey to accept a
political solution. Erbakan has contacted us. But the army is not
following.''

He gave no details of the reported contacts.

Ocalan said the PKK sought a federal solution involving Iraq, Iran and
Turkey, with a federal parliament and a Kurdish parliament. The movement
has waged an armed struggle against the Turkish state for the past 12
years in which more than 20,000 people have been killed.

Interviewed ``somewhere in the Middle East,'' he acknowledged that PKK
guerrillas had wiped out several Kurdish villages accused of
collaborating with the Turkish army and blamed it on power struggles
among the rebels.

``I'm against the killing of civilians. But it is a fact that some of
these acts were carried out by guerrillas. They killed some of our own
people. They are destroying what I am trying to build,'' Ocalan said.

``I am the leader but I am not God. Sometimes I have more conflicts with
members of my own party than with the enemy. They challenge my
authority,'' he said.

Ocalan was quoted as saying the PKK had 15,000 guerrillas in southeastern
Turkey and northern Iraq, including 4,000 women.

He said he had personally never been a fighter or lived with Kurdish
guerrillas in the mountains.

Ocalan said he opposed sexual relations between men and women guerrillas.

``If we are not strict, we will never the give the Kurds a new
personality. We must establish a new style of sexual relations between
men and women,'' he said.

collective based in Toronto, Canada. Our focus includes a wide
variety of material, including political prisoners, national
liberation struggles, armed communist resistance, anti-fascism,
the fight against patriarchy, and more. We regularly publish our
writings, research, and translation materials in our magazine and
bulletins called Arm The Spirit. For more information, contact:

Arm The Spirit
P.O. Box 6326, Stn. A
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1P7 Canada

E-mail: ats at etext.org
WWW: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~ats
FTP: ftp.etext.org --> /pub/Politics/Arm.The.Spirit
ATS-L Archives: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~archive/ats-l