Three Die In PKK Prisoner Escape In

kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu kurd-l at burn.ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 23 17:00:22 GMT 1996

From: Arm The Spirit <ats at locust.cic.net>
Subject: Three Die In PKK Prisoner Escape In Turkey

Three Die In PKK Prisoner Escape In Turkey

ANKARA, Nov 22 (Reuter) - Two Kurdish rebel prisoners and a Turkish
gendarmerie policeman were killed on Friday when the inmates tried to
flee a hospital in central Turkey, Anatolian news agency reported.

It said the two Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) guerrillas tried to escape
after being taken from a jail in the central province of Tokat for
treatment in a nearby hospital.

Security officials opened fire on the prisoners after one of them seized
the gendarme's gun and shot him dead.

Another PKK member was captured unhurt by guards.

The PKK, thousands of whose members are held in Turkish prisons, has
fought a 12-year armed struggle with the military for Kurdish self rule
in which over 21,000 people have died.

collective based in Toronto, Canada. Our focus includes a wide
variety of material, including political prisoners, national
liberation struggles, armed communist resistance, anti-fascism,
the fight against patriarchy, and more. We regularly publish our
writings, research, and translation materials in our magazine and
bulletins called Arm The Spirit. For more information, contact:

Arm The Spirit
P.O. Box 6326, Stn. A
Toronto, Ontario
M5W 1P7 Canada

E-mail: ats at etext.org
WWW: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~ats
FTP: ftp.etext.org --> /pub/Politics/Arm.The.Spirit
ATS-L Archives: http://burn.ucsd.edu/~archive/ats-l