[WSIS CS-Plenary] UN Official Document System is online

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 15:36:22 GMT 2005

Robert, et al,

I'm already on this and am bringing some people at the UN in the loop.
I am happy to compile people's feedback and suggestions and put it to
the UN technical people directly.

I urge folks for the time being not to start a media-flurry on this
before we get some kind of response from the UN.  If they ignore or
dismiss our criticisms then we can start taking to the airwaves.  My
guess is that the German coalition folks have already alerted their
media contacts.

The truly sad part about this is that if the UN IT people had
beta-released this and asked for volunteers to run it through its
paces, folks would have jumped at the chance to help out.  Instead they
put out a product that doesn't work for a large population of users.
So they make themselves vulnerable to criticism and accusations of
cozying up to Microsoft.

Rik Panganiban

On Jan 6, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Robert Guerra wrote:

> trying to be productive...
>
> Any way we can communicate the results of our "tests" to the relevant
> UN Officials so that they can perhaps try to fix it ASAP.
>
> If they can not, then i would suggest that we start the process of
> formulating a formal press release to inform the world about the lack
> of standards..
>
> regards
>
> Robert
>
> At 3:41 PM +0100 1/6/05, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>> Georg C. F. Greve ha scritto:
>>>  rp> Regards to all and Happy Transparent and Accessible New Year.
>>>
>>> I just tried this and had problems actually getting to the documents,
>>> others have reported similar problems with non-IE browsers on Windows
>>> and Macintosh. It appears the site is running on Microsoft and is
>>> using Microsoft-only functions for Javascript.
>
> --
> ###
> Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
> Privaterra - <http://www.privaterra.org>

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524

** Please note CONGO's new mailing address: CP 50, 1211 Genéve 20,
Switzerland.  Our physical office address is 11, Avenue De La Paix, 1st
Floor, 1202 Genéve, Switzerland. **