[WSIS CS-Plenary] response from UN on Official Document System

Rik Panganiban rikp at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 17:21:12 GMT 2005

Dear Friends,

I just heard back from the UN's Chief of the System Management Section
(ITSD/OS), Mr. Tony Wilson, responding to our feedback on the ODS
public server. He reports that his two-person (!) team has been working
hard to address the browser issues that our people identified, and that
the javascript was changed on the ODS to allow Mozilla-based browsers
to work with the ODS.  I can happily confirm that the ODS now works
with my Safari browser for the Mac OS X.

Regarding a "microsoft conspiracy" he notes that there has been
significant progress in moving away from Microsoft toward more
linux-based solutions.  According to Mr. Wilson, they are going to be
developing an Entreprise Content Management project in the near future,
so completely re-engineering the existing ODS system seemed a bad use
of their limited time and resources.

He concludes that he is happy to receive further constructive feedback
on the ODS.  He can be reached at : wilsont at un.org .

I  thank Mr. Wilson and his team for responding so quickly to our
concerns and hope we can continue to have a fruitful and mutually
supportive relationship into the future.  Many of us in civil society
recognize the tremendous pressure put upon the UN staff to deliver
results with very limited resources.  Having the ODS publicly and
freely available is immensely gratifying after years of work and
lobbying on this issue.

Sincerely,

Rik Panganiban
CONGO

RIK PANGANIBAN       Communications Coordinator
Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations
(CONGO)
web: http://www.ngocongo.org
email: rik.panganiban at ngocongo.org
mobile: (+1) 917-710-5524

** Please note CONGO's new mailing address: CP 50, 1211 Genéve 20,
Switzerland.  Our physical office address is 11, Avenue De La Paix, 1st
Floor, 1202 Genéve, Switzerland. **