[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Carlos Afonso ca at rits.org.br
Thu Jan 13 12:57:39 GMT 2005

Dear Dr Mueller, don't be so pessimistic! You are tending to grade our
report with an F even before we start writing it! ;) I do not expect an
A+ but let us give a bit more of confidence to this group of volunteers.

Also, you are not really right in saying there are no pro-FOSS software
"expert/advocate" people there -- there might not be "card-carrying"
people from the "free software movement" organizations, but there are
several who are experienced in the field, are strong advocates in favor
of it, and will press for it whenever appropriate. There is strong
pro-FOSS life beyond these organizations.

Finally, like FOSS, "intellectual property" issues are listed among the
topics to be addressed by the WGIG, and, again, there are WG members
with good qualifications to carry out this discussion, and, above all,
interact with their communities to seek advice and consensus.

I am still optimistic we will get at least a B+ ... :)

--c.a.

Milton Mueller wrote:

>Interesting question.
>
>First, be aware that _nothing_ will be "ensured" by the WGIG. The WGIG
>is not a policy making or treaty negotiation group, it is writing a
>report. Implementation of its recommendations (if it is able to make
>substantive recommendations at all, which may not happen) depends on
>actions by governments.
>
>Second, last I recall, key PCT caucus members, including Stallman, were
>lobbying the governance caucus to avoid raising intellectual property
>issues on the WGIG at all. Others, including myself, were arguing that
>WGIG needed to address these issues vigorously. Have the FS advocates
>changed their tune now? If so, good, and welcome.
>
>Third, I do think it somewhat unfortunate that no free/open source
>software expert/advocate is on the WGIG. However, civil society members
>of the WGIG are on this list and seem to be reasonably responsive to
>positions that are advocated and accepted here.
>
>--MM
>
>p.s. don't waste time lecturing me about "PCT" vs. "intellectual
>property" as a label. It's a rat hole. I am entirely familiar with the
>sayings of Chairman Stallman on that subject, and nevertheless find the
>semantic debate meaningless.

Carlos Afonso
diretor de planejamento
Rede de Informações para o Terceiro Setor - Rits
Rua Guilhermina Guinle, 272, 6º andar - Botafogo
Rio de Janeiro RJ - Brasil         CEP 22270-060
tel +55-21-2527-5494        fax +55-21-2527-5460
ca at rits.org.br            http://www.rits.org.br