[WSIS CS-Plenary] PCT and WGIG

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun Jan 16 04:53:00 GMT 2005

>>> greve at fsfeurope.org 1/15/2005 7:26:02 AM >>>
>Thank you for explaining the reasons why people saw fit to exclude
the
>people from other working groups, although they essentially seem to
be
>based upon lack of knowledge of Free Software and its
representatives.

Let me clarify. I'm not "explaining" anything. I wasn't part of the
Governance Caucus group that passed recommendations to Kummer, nor was I
present when Kummer and Kofi Annan made their final selections. So I
have no clue as to what their methodology or thinking was regarding the
FS nominees.

I was simply pointing out to you that doctrinaire and factional
behavior is unlikely to create warm, fuzzy feelings among the people
making the selections. More rationally, concerns about the rigidity of
FS advocates might also raise doubts about their effectiveness on the
WGIG.

>Excluding a whole group of people on grounds of prejudice towards
>some of its participants seems a questionable policy [snip]

Yes, but you need to entertain the possibility that it wasn't
prejudice.

Now the choices have been made, and cannot be changed. So what do you
propose to do going forward? One alternative is to keep complaining
about your "exclusion." Unlikely to accomplish much, I would suggest.
Another alternative is to drop out. A third is to continue
participating, and try to act in an informative, constructive and
persuasive manner regarding the relevant issues. You do not have to be
on the WGIG to affect its report, I would suggest (and hope).

--MM