[WSIS CS-Plenary] Virtual news & Gender gap

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Wed Jan 19 18:00:18 GMT 2005

http://www.privaterra.org/activities/wsis/blog/virtual_news___gender_gap.html

Virtual news & Gender gap

It is always good to have a new set of eyes look at a problem, and
the WSIS is no different.

Taran Rampersad, a CS colleague from the Caribbean has posted several
messages recently related to the real lack of news and information
that is available to the general public about what is going on in
WSIS. He's of the opinion that it is still very much an insider's game

To a large extent I would agree. What to do next is the question. Do
we try to spend time to analyze why, or take specific concrete
actions in the short term to try to ameliorate the communications
issue. I'll leave the former to the academics, and put my efforts in
with the latter option.

That being said, what I commit to do - is to proactively engage those
who have expressed an interest in blogs, wikis and virtual
collaboration to see what concrete things we can come up with before,
during and after the PrepCom.

Who's expressed interest so far:

Blogs - Taran Rampersad, Andy Carvin, Rik Panganiban
Wiki - Andy Carvin
Virtual Collaboration - Derrick Cogburn

In looking at the three items and the initial list of who's involved
reveals an all too frequent issue....that of lack of gender balance.
Making this point known those involved in the gender caucus could be
a first start, and is something i'll do. I hope that with their help,
advice and expertise we'll be able to narrow the gender gap we seem
to have now.
--
###
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>