[WSIS CS-Plenary] Moving on

Beatriz Busaniche beatriz at maxmedia.com.ar
Sat Jan 22 22:35:08 GMT 2005

El sáb, 22-01-2005 a las 22:48 +0100, Renata Bloem escribió:

> It is vital that in the overall discussion on CS –UN relations we do
> not loose what we have gained in the WSIS, including in the WGIG (It
> is one of best practices in the UN)

Dear Renate,

I must say that I am a bit taken aback by the concept that the WSIS
model can be taken as a "best practice" without first doing a thorough
critical balance.
Civil Society participation is not an end in itself, except maybe for
organizations that have found in it a source of funding and will thus
benefit from it no matter what the outcome.
Beyond the skewed framework within which the UN has positioned CS
(putting the media giants among us, for instance), I feel we cannot look
away from the consequences of what we have managed to build: a power
structure in which a few organizations can make their voices heard,
while those who cannot afford the people and expenses to actually "be"
there have no chance of having their opinions taken into account.
In this state, I don't think I can recommend the WSIS model for further
UN activities.