IPR :I don't agree with Milton -> Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Strategic priorities for WGIG

Hervé Le Crosnier herve at info.unicaen.fr
Thu Jan 27 22:18:59 GMT 2005

Milton Mueller wrote:

> I think there is a broad consensus that IPR is one of the key issues.
> Those who have appeared to dissent from that consensus have raised two
> issues, neither of which detracts from the centrality of IPR to the
> WGIG: i) they have objected to the term "intellectual property,"
> proposing instead PCT, which is not a serious problem, either term could
> be used; ii) they stated that the WGIG was intended to be technical in
> focus, which is plainly wrong and can be proved so simply by reading the
> WGIG's charter.

	Sorry Milton,

	None of those are the views i've expressed last fall,
	neither now.

	So for the consensus, please read intimely any position.
	WGIG is a political process, a question of regime, as
	you always says. But with a slant on technical feasability
	and of technical necessity for the conception of a network
	for information exchange.

	It's the governance of the Internet.

	IPR is really another domain, which concern many other things
	as medicines, indigenous knowledge, cultural domination through
	economy, spreading of scientific knowledge, the nature of
	software industry, equal repartition between North and South
	of the benefit of globalisation of trade, farmers and GM crops,
	the future of biotech industries, the libraries, ... and so, and
	so...

	And if we choose technical methods to encompass the problem
	of IPR equilibrium on the internet, we put all theses others
	domains at risk.

	Who in the WGIG is conceiving the problem of crop licensing
	for poor farmers in the South ?

	By nature, Civil society is vast and diverse. It encompass
	all the sectors, and decide for a consensus that can ensure
	all other parts of the civil society to have their point of
	view.

	So I maintain : IPR is not top on the agenda of the WGIG,
	because it was not top on the whole WSIS (for best and worse)
	and because there are other mouvements actually trying to
	find new and innovative ways to deal with IPR in information
	societies. I refer to the Geneva declaration for change on
	the OMPI, and the actually discussed Treaty on medicines
	to be proposed to WHO by civil society coordinators.

Hervé Le Crosnier