[WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: Comments made this week in Washington - not helpful

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Jan 28 05:15:13 GMT 2005

I think this should bring some soberness to the community.

The quote is from Warren's Washington Daily:

>Capitol Hill
>The Commerce Dept. should reconsider cutting loose ICANN, Sen. Burns
>(R-Mont.) said in remarks on the  Senate floor.  In a statement supporting
>confirmation of Carlos Gutierrez as Commerce secy., Burns said ICANN
>is  in danger of "mission creep" and has turned into a "mini-international
>organization."  ICANN's last ties to the DoC  are scheduled to expire in
>2006.  "The U.S. government has played a crucial and positive role in the
>creation of the Internet and in Internet governance, and I do not think
>that such a decision as this should be taken without thorough  review and
>understanding of its implications," Burns said.

One of the things I was thinking after last year's elections in the US was
that George W. Bush is fully capable of bringing back the root servers and
DNS under the Dept. of defence - after all the Internet was created for
military purposes. The statement of this senator is precisely in that
direction.

So, when I refer to some of you as to be cautious about challenging ICANN,
you have to be aware that I am not speaking for the sake of speaking.
I have some experience (unfortunately) of how road to Hell is paved with
good intentions. And why the actions of some of the Westerners here may
cause more harm to the Internet and its self-management, than anyone else
from a developing country can cause.

best,
veni

p.s. Oh, and by the way, do not try to say publicly that exactly because of
such statements, we need to move everything to the UN, ITU, or other
intragovernmental organization. Quite the contrary - if people try do that,
then FOR SURE the self-management is OVER.

v.