AW: [WSIS CS-Plenary] Fwd: Comments made this week in Washington - not helpful

Wolfgang Kleinwächter wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Fri Jan 28 06:06:51 GMT 2005

Tahnks Veni for pointing to the Burns Statement in the Confirmation Hearing. Do you have the full text?

Burns is one of the key players in the Congress with regard to ICANN. He chairs the Senate Communication Subcommittee. He has outlined his general strateggy in early 2004 here:
http://burns.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=PressReleases.Detail&PressRelease_id=1067

A lot of issue are very relevant to WGIG issues.

One point refers directly to ICANN

ICANN Reform

STRENGTHENS AND SECURES THE INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE INTERNET

Sen. Burns will continue to exercise vigilant oversight over ICANN following the most recent extension of the Memorandum of Understanding with the Commerce Department last September. Sen. Burns remains concerned at the organization's lack of accountability and due process, particularly given its core role in ensuring American national security.

Veni,

as you have pointed out, Burns sees this as an issue of "American National Security". And the DoC with its readiness to terminate its oversight role over ICANN is itself overseen by the Congress.

During the PTC 2005 Conference last week in Honolulu, when FCC Chair Powell announced his withdrawl, there was a lot of discussion around the need of a new telecommunications law, replacing the 1996 Act. Such a new act could probably include all relevant Internet related aspects, including VoIP, Spam and others. The interesting thing for me was, that the debate centered to a high degree on "security issues" in relation to the subject. Telecommunication Policy in the 21st Century is Security Policy, one panelist said. And another was afraid, that the new law will be drafted less by the FCC and more by the FBI.

Best regards

wolfgang