[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Martin Olivera martin_olivera at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Jan 29 15:18:48 GMT 2005

I find the bottom-up technique against spam proposed
in this message from Michael, it is not only a good
idea, but the only that is not restricting my freedom
to receive spam if I want, and is based on trust
(community trust) instead of central regulation -a bad
solution approach who may lead us to policies of
privacy violation and content filtering-.

 --- "Gurstein, Michael" <gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU>
escribió:

> I think the issue of "spam" and "spam control" is
> highly interesting
> particularly for what it reveals about the implicit
> frameworks
> concerning overall Internet related issues.
>
> Spam is and can be approached from a technical and a
> legal/regulatory
> perspective--that is, what are the centrally (top
> down) determined,
> centrally (top down) implemented and centrally (top
> down) controlled
> approaches to the problem of spam--what filters do
> ISP's put in place,
> what laws do central authorities implement, what
> banishment do central
> monitors impose and so on.
>
> An alternative approach to spam control, which in
> fact seems to be far
> more powerful and certainly more cost-effective is a
> 'bottom-up"
> strategy which has users either individually or more
> usefully
> collaboratively, establishing mechanisms for
> identifying and diverting
> spam messages as they are being received.
>
> The way this seems to be working is that individuals
> identify messages
> they consider spam, they set up a filter against
> that message which then
> is shared with other people. As the network (on-line
> community) of those
> sharing their filters grows, the grid of filtering
> against the spam
> messaging grows apace and there is no particular
> need to have central
> authorities to identify and track/attack spammers
> (an approach unlikely
> to be effective in any case given the ease with
> which spammers can
> change their addresses, the very low entry costs to
> spamming and so
> on... (I saw a note pass by a few weeks ago which
> indicated that the
> cost of identifying and running to ground a single
> spammer was in the
> $40,000K US range, and this doesn't include the
> legal costs of
> attempting to try and convict each individual
> spammer...).
>
> However, recognizing that spam is a problem which is
> probably best
> controlled through (bottom up) on-line communities
> and networks doesn't
> seem to have filtered into those who treat the
> Internet with all its
> transformational elements as simply another ground
> for regulatory
> business as usual, or who see a way of making a buck
> by providing
> technology (overkill) solutions for what are
> essentially
> "social"/community problems.
>
> To extend this further I'm seeing a similar "divide"
> in the Finance for
> the Information Society area, where the bulk of the
> efforts seems to be
> in finding ways of funding governments or
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
SOLAR Software Libre Argentina
http://www.solar.org.ar