[WSIS CS-Plenary] Spam as an issue

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Mon Jan 31 19:53:04 GMT 2005

>>> airetg at gmail.com 1/31/2005 11:12:30 AM >>>
>I agree, but exactly that is why spam is not an issue for WGIG.
>Governments can agree on legal definition of spam without involvement
>of civil society - it's one of the few areas where I would trust them
>:)

For the record, I don't believe that governments should be trusted to
deal with ANY global communication-information policy issues
independently of civil society input. I have too much experience of the
disjunction (chasm) between citizens interests/rights and the position
of my own national government. I am also more familiar than I would like
to be with the ability of international organizations (ICANN, WIPO,
UNESCO, CoE, you name it) to work for policies that promote their own
organizational interests above those of users.

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org