[WSIS CS-Plenary] new version of WSIS CS statement - now also in plain text

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Nov 30 19:19:00 GMT 2005

WSIS Civil Society Statement DRAFT V3.1
last change: 30/11/2005 18:52 CET

I. Introduction – Our perspective after the WSIS process

The WSIS was an opportunity for a wide range of actors to work together to
develop principles and prioritise actions that would lead to democratic,
inclusive, participatory and development-oriented information societies;
societies in which the ability to access, share and communicate
information and knowledge is treated as a public good and takes place in a
ways that strengthens the rich cultural diversity of our world.

Civil society entered the Tunis Phase of WSIS with these major goals:

•	Agreement on financing mechanisms and models that will close the growing
gaps in access to information and communication tools, capacities and
infrastructure that exist between countries, and in many cases within
countries.
•	Ensuring that our vision of the ‘information society’ is human-centred,
framed by a global commitment to human rights, social justice and
inclusive development.
•	Achieving a sea change in perceptions of participatory decision-making.
We wanted the WSIS to be a milestone from which the inclusion of civil
society participation would become more comprehensive and integrated at
all levels of governance and decision making at local, national, regional
and global levels.
•	Agreement on strong commitment to the centrality of human rights,
especially the right to access and depart information and to retaining
individual privacy.

Civil society wants to affirm that it has contributed positively to the
WSIS process, a contribution that could have been greater if our
participation was allowed to be more comprehensive. Our contribution will
continue beyond the Summit. It is a contribution that is made both through
constructive engagement and through challenge and critique.

[Note: This paragraph still could be more comprehensive and better
summarize the issues below]
While we value the process, and the outcomes, we believe more could have
been achieved.  Each of the issue of greatest concern to civil society is
discussed in sections II and III of this statement. For most of the items,
the results were mixed with some small success but with much remaining to
be done. Some of the greatest concerns involve people centred issues such
as the attention paid to human rights and freedom of expression, financial
mechanisms to promote the development that was the impetus for the WSIS
process, and support for capacity building.

II. Issues addressed during the Tunis phase of WSIS

	Social Justice, Financing and People-Centered Development

WSIS had the official mandate of addressing long-standing development
problems in new ways that have opened up with the ICT revolution. The
summit was expected to identify and articulate new development
possibilities and paradigms made possible in the information society, and
to evolve public policy options for enabling and realising these
opportunities. WSIS in general has failed to live up to these
expectations. Especially the Tunis phase which was presented as the
“summit of solutions” did not provide concrete achievements to
meaningfully address development priorities.

The summit did discuss the importance of new financing mechanisms for ICT
for Development (ICTD), however it failed to recognize that ICTD financing
presents a challenge beyond that of traditional development financing. It
requires new means and sources and the exploration of new models and
mechanisms.

Investments in ICTD - in infrastructure, capacity building, appropriate
software and hardware and in developing applications and services –
underpin all other processes of development innovation, learning and
sharing, and should be seen in this light. Though development resources
are admittedly scarce and have to be allocated to with care and
discretion, ICTD financing should not be viewed as directly in competition
with financing of other developmental sectors.

Financing ICTD requires social and institutional innovation, with adequate
mechanisms for transparency, evaluation, and follow-up. Financial
resources need to be mobilised at all levels – local, national and
international, including through realization of ODA commitments agreed in
the Monterrey Consensus.

Internet access, for everybody and everywhere, especially among
disadvantaged populations and in rural areas, must be considered as a
global public good. Markets may not address the connectivity needs of
these sections, and these areas. In many such areas, initial priority may
need to be given to provide traditional ICTs - radio, TV, video and
telephony - while developing conditions to bring complete internet
connectivity to them.

While the summit in general has failed to agree on adequate funding for
ICTD, civil society was able to introduce significant sections in the
Tunis commitment (paragraph 35) and in Tunis agenda (paragraph 21) on the
importance of public policy in mobilizing resources for financing. This
can serve to balance the pro-market orientation of much of the text on
financing.

The potential of ICTs as tools for development, and not merely tools for
communication, should have been realised by all states. Therefore,
national ICT strategies in developing countries should be closely related
to national strategies for development and poverty eradication. Aid
strategies in developed countries must also include clear guidelines for
incorporation of ICTs. ICT should therefore be integrated in the general
development assistance and thereby contribute to mobilisation of
additional resources and increase the efficiency of development assistance.

Human Rights

The Information Society must be based on human rights as laid out in the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights. This includes civil and political
rights, as well as social, economic and cultural rights. Human rights and
development are closely linked. There can be no development without human
rights, no human rights without development.

This has been affirmed time and again, and was strongly stated in the
Vienna World Conference of Human Rights in 1993. It was also affirmed in
the WSIS 2003 Declaration of Principles. All legislation, politics, and
actions involved in developing the global information society must
respect, protect and promote human rights standards and the rule of law.

Despite the Geneva commitment to an Information Society respectful of
human rights, there is still a long way to go. A number of human rights
were barely addressed in the Geneva Declaration of Principles. This
includes the cross-cutting principles of non-discrimination, gender
equality, and workers’ rights. The right to privacy, which is the basis of
autonomous personal development and thus at the root of the exertion of
many other fundamental human rights, is only mentioned in the Geneva
Declaration as part of "a global culture of cyber-security". In the Tunis
Commitment, it has disappeared, to make room for extensive underlining of
security needs, as if privacy were a threat to security, whereas the
opposite is true: Privacy is an essential requirement to security. The
summit has also ignored our demand to ensure the privacy and integrity of
the vote if and when electronic voting technologies are used.

Other rights were more explicitly addressed, but are de facto violated on
a daily basis. This goes for freedom of expression, freedom of
information, freedom of association and assembly, the right to a fair
trial, the right to education, and the right to a standard of living
adequate for the health and well-being of the individual and his or her
family.

Furthermore, as the second WSIS phase has amplified, one thing is formal
commitment, another one is implementation. Side events open to the general
public were organised by civil society both at the Geneva and Tunis
Summit, in line with a long tradition of UN summits. The Citizens’ Summit
in Tunis was prevented from happening. At the Geneva Summit, the "We
Seize" side event was closed down and then reopened. This is a clear
reminder that though governments have signed on to human rights
commitments, fundamental human rights such as freedom of expression and
freedom of assembly can not be taken for granted in any part of the world.

The summit has failed define mechanisms and actions that would actively
promote and protect human rights in the information society. Post WSIS
there is an urgent need to strengthen the means of human rights
enforcement in the information society, to enhance human rights proofing
of national legislation and practises, to strengthen education and
awareness raising on rights-based development, to transform human rights
standards into ICT policy recommendations; and to mainstream ICT issues
into the global and regional human rights monitoring system – in summary:
To move from declarations and commitments into action. Toward this end, an
independent commission should be established to review national and
international ICT regulations and practices and their compliance with
international human rights standards. This commission should also address
the potential applications of ICTs for the realization of human rights in
the information society.

	Internet Governance

Civil society is pleased with the decision to create an Internet
Governance Forum (IGF), which it has advocated since 2003. We also are
pleased that the IGF will have sufficient scope to deal with the issues
that we believe must be addressed, most notably the conformity of existing
arrangements with the Geneva Principles, and other cross-cutting or
multidimensional issues that cannot be optimally dealt with within those
arrangements. However, we reiterate our concerns that the Forum must not
be anchored in any existing specialized international organization,
meaning that its legal form, finances, and professional staff should be
independent. In addition, we reiterate our view that the forum should be
more than a place for dialogue. As was recommended by the WGIG Report, it
should also provide expert analysis, trend monitoring, and capacity
building, including in close collaboration with external partners in the
research community.

We are concerned, however, about the absence of details on how this forum
will be created and on how it will be funded. We insist that the
modalities of the IGF be determined in full cooperation with civil
society. We emphasize that success in the forum, as in most areas of
Internet governance, will be impossible without the full participation of
civil society. By full participation we mean much more than playing a mere
advisory role. Civil society must be able to participate fully and equally
in both plenary and any working group or drafting group discussions, and
must have the same opportunities as other stakeholders to influence
agendas and outcomes.

The Tunis Agenda addressed the issue of political oversight of critical
Internet resources. This, in itself, is an achievement. It is also
important that governments recognized the need for the development of a
set of Internet-related public policy principles that would frame
political oversight of Internet resources. These principles must respect,
protect and promote the civil and political rights protected by
international human rights treaties, ensure equitable access to
information and online opportunities for all, and promote development.

It is important that governments have established that developing these
principles should be a shared responsibility. However, it is very
unfortunate that the Tunis Agenda suggests that governments are only
willing to share this role and responsibility among themselves, in
cooperation with international organisations. Civil society remains
strongly of the view that the formulation of appropriate and legitimate
public policies pertaining to Internet governance requires the full and
meaningful involvement of nongovernmental stakeholders.

With regard to paragraph 40 of the Tunis Agenda, we are disappointed that
there is no mention that efforts to combat cybercrime need to be exercised
in the context of checks and balances provided by fundamental human
rights, particularly freedom of expression and privacy.

To ensure that Internet governance and development take place in the
public interest, it is necessary for people who use the Internet
understand how the DNS is functioning, how IP addresses are allocated,
what basic legal instruments exist in fields like cyber-crime,
Intellectual Property Rights, eCommerce, e-government, and human rights
and promoting development. The responsibility of creating such awareness
should be shared by everyone, including those at present involved in the
governance and development of the Internet and emerging information and
communication platforms.

Global governance

A world that is increasingly connected faces a greater number of common
issues which need to be addressed by global governance institutions and
processes. While civil society recognises that there are flaws and
inefficiencies in the United Nations system, we believe strongly that it
remains the most democratic intergovernmental forum, where rich and poor
countries have rights to speak and participate and make decisions together.

We are concerned that during the WSIS it emerged that many governments,
especially from the North, lack faith in, and appear to be unwilling to
invest authority and resources in the existing multilateral system.

In our understanding summits take place precisely to develop the
principles that will underpin global public policy and governance
structures; to address critical issues, and decide on appropriate
serious questions of the kind of global governance that we are headed
towards, and what this signifies for people who are socially, economically
and politically marginalised: people who most rely on public policy to
protect their interests.

	Participation

In the course of four years, as a result of constant pressure from civil
society, improvements in civil society participation have been achieved,
including speaking rights in official plenaries and sub-committees and
ultimately rights to observe in drafting groups. The UN Working Group on
Internet Governance created an innovative format where governmental and
civil society actors worked on an equal footing and civil society actually
carried a large part of the drafting load.

Due to the pressure of time and the need of governments to interact with
civil society actors in the Internet Governance field, the resumed session
of PrepCom3 was in fact the most open. We would like to suggest [better
formulation?] that this openness, against all odds, contributed to
reaching consensus.

WSIS has demonstrated beyond any doubt the benefits of interaction between
all stakeholders. The innovative rules and practices of participation
established in this process will be fully documented to provide a
reference point and a benchmark for participants in UN organizations and
processes in the future.

Civil society thanks those governments that greatly supported our
participation in the WSIS process. We hope and expect that these
achievements are taken further and strengthened, especially in more
politically contested spaces of global policy making such as intellectual
property rights, trade, environment and peace and disarmament.

We note that some governments of the South were not actively supportive of
greater observer participation as they believe it can lead to undue
dominance of debate and opinions by international and northern civil
society organisations and the private sector. We believe that to change
this perception, they should engage in efforts to strengthen the presence,
independence and participation of civil society constituencies in and from
their own countries.

As for the period beyond the summit, the Tunis documents clearly establish
that the soon-to-be created Internet Governance Forum, and the future
mechanisms for implementation and follow-up (including the revision of the
mandate of the ECOSOC Commission on Science and Technology for
Development) must take into account the multi-stakeholder approach.

We want to express concern at the vagueness of text referring to the role
of civil society. In almost every paragraph talking about
multi-stakeholder participation, the phrase “in their respective roles and
responsibilities” is used to limit the degree of multi-stakeholder
participation. This limitation is due to the refusal of governments to
recognize the full range of the roles and responsibilities of civil
society.  Instead of the reduced capabilities assigned in paragraph 35C of
the Tunis Agenda that attempt to restrict civil society to a community
role, governments should have referred to the list of roles and
responsibilities assigned to civil society by the WGIG report. These are:

-	Awareness raising and capacity building (knowledge, training, skills
sharing);
-	Promote various public interest objectives;
-	Facilitate network building;
-	Mobilize citizens in democratic processes;
-	Bring perspectives of marginalized groups including for example excluded
communities and grassroots activists;
-	Engage in policy processes;
-	Bring expertise, skills, experience and knowledge in a range of ICT
policy areas contributing to policy processes and policies that are more
bottom-up, people-centred and inclusive;
-	Research and development of technologies and standards;
-	Development and dissemination of best practices;
-	Helping to ensure that political and market forces are accountable to
the needs of all members of society;
-	Encourage social responsibility and good governance practice;
-	Advocate for development of social projects and activities that are
critical but may not be ‘fashionable’ or profitable;
-	Contribute to shaping visions of human-centred information societies
based on human rights, sustainable development, social justice and
empowerment.

Civil society has reason for concern that the limited concessions obtained
in the last few days from countries that refuse the emergence of a truly
multi-stakeholder format will be at risk in the coming months.

Civil society actors therefore intend to remain actively mobilized. They
need to proactively ensure that not only the needed future structures be
established in a truly multi-stakeholder format, but also that the
discussions preparing their mandates are conducted in an open, transparent
and inclusive manner, allowing participation of all stakeholders on an
equal footing.

III. Issues addressed in the Geneva and Tunis phases

Gender Equality

Equal and active participation of women is essential, especially in
decision-making. This includes all forums that will be established in
relation to WSIS and the issues it has taken up. With that, there is a
need for capacity building that is focussed at women’s engagement with the
shaping of an information society at all levels, including policy making
on infrastructure development, financing, and technology choice.

There is a need for real effort and commitment to transforming the
masculinist culture embedded within existing structures and discourses of
the information society which serves to reinforce gender disparity and
inequality. Without full, material and engaged commitment to the principle
of gender equality, women’s empowerment and non-discrimination, the vision
of a just and equitable information society cannot be achieved.

Considering the affirmation of unequivocal support for gender equality and
women’s empowerment expressed in the Geneva Declaration of Principles and
paying careful attention to Paragraph 23 of the Tunis Commitment, all
government signatories must ensure that national policies, programmes and
strategies developed and implemented to build a people-centred, inclusive
and development-oriented Information Society demonstrate significant
commitment to the principles of gender equality and women’s empowerment.

We emphasise that financial structures and mechanisms need to be geared
towards addressing the gender divide, including the provision of adequate
budgetary allocations. Comprehensive gender-disaggregated data and
indicators have to be developed at national levels to enable and monitor
this process. We urge all governments to take positive action to ensure
institutions and practices, including those of the private sector, do not
result in discrimination against women. Governments that are parties to
the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination
against Women (CEDAW) are in fact bound to this course of action.

Culture, Knowledge, and the Public Domain

Each generation of humankind is depending upon its predecessors to leave
them with a liveable, sustainable and stable environment. The environment
we were discussing throughout the WSIS is the public domain of global
knowledge. Like our planet with its natural resources, that domain is the
heritage of all humankind and the reservoir from which new knowledge is
created. Limited monopolies, such as copyrights and patents were
originally conceived as tools to serve that public domain of global
knowledge to the benefit of humankind. Whenever society grants monopolies,
a delicate balance must be struck: Careless monopolization will make our
heritage unavailable to most people, to the detriment of all.

It has become quite clear that this balance has been upset by the
interests of the rights-holding industry as well as the digitalization of
knowledge. Humankind now has the power to instantaneously share knowledge
in real-time, without loss, and at almost no costs. Civil Society has
worked hard to defend that ability for all of humankind.

Free Software is an integral part of this ability: Software is the
cultural technique and most important regulator of the digital age. Access
to it determines who may participate in a digital world. While in the
Geneva phase, WSIS has recognised the importance of Free Software, it has
not acted upon that declaration and fallen behind it in the Tunis phase.
In the Tunis Commitment, Free Software is presented as a software model
next to proprietary software, but paragraph 29 reiterates “the importance
of proprietary software in the markets of the countries.” This ignores
that a proprietary software market is always striving towards dependency
and monopolization, both of which are detrimental to economy and
development as a whole. Proprietary software is under exclusive control of
and to the benefit of its proprietor. Furthermore: Proprietary software is
written in modern sweat-shops for the benefit of developed economies,
which are subsidized at the expense of developing and least-developed
countries in this way.

While WSIS has somewhat recognised the importance of free and open source
software, it has not asserted the significance of this choice for
development. It is silent on other issues like open content (which goes
beyond open access to academic publications), new open telecom paradigms
and community-owned infrastructure as important development enablers.

The WSIS process has failed to introduce cultural and linguistic diversity
as a cross-cutting issue in the information society. The information
society and its core elements - knowledge, information, communication and
the information and communication technologies (ICTs) together with
related rules and standards - are cultural concepts and expressions.
Accordingly, culturally defined approaches, protocols, proceedings and
obligations have to be respected and culturally appropriate applications
developed and promoted. In order to foster and promote cultural diversity
it must be ensured that no one has to be mere recipient of Western
knowledge and treatment. Therefore development of such cultural elements
of the Information Society must involve strong participation of all
cultural communities.

[needs agreement / editing from Cultural Diversity and PCT caucuses]
Indigenous cultures provide for rules and regulations on communicating,
sharing, using and applying traditional knowledge. WSIS has failed to
offer solutions on how to protect the traditional knowledge, lore and
culture of indigenous peoples from exploitation by third parties. It has
not even considered the problems that arise for Indigenous peoples who
cannot rightfully access their traditional heritage lest they infringe
some private company's copyright or patent.

	Education and research

If we want future generations to understand the real basis of our digital
age, freedom has to be preserved for the knowledge of humankind: Free
Software, open courseware and free educational as well as scientific
resources empower people to take their life into their own hands. If not,
they will become only users and consumers of information technologies,
instead of active participants and well informed citizens in the
information society. Each generation has a choice to make: Schooling of
the mind and creativity, or product schooling? Most unfortunately, the
WSIS has shown a significant tendency towards the latter.

We are happy that universities, museums, archives, libraries have been
recognized by WSIS as playing an important role as public institutions and
with the community of researchers and academics. Unfortunately,
telecenters are missing in the WSIS documents. Community informatics,
telecenters and human resources like computer professionals, and the
training of these, have to be promoted, so that ICTs serve training and
not training serves ICTs. Thus special attention must be paid to
supporting sustainable capacity building with specific focus on research
and skills development.

Problems of access, regulation, diversity and efficiency require attention
to power relations both in the field of ICT policy-making and in the
everyday uses of ICTs. Academic research should play a pivotal role in
evaluating whether ICTs meet and serve the individuals’ and the public's
multiple needs and interests - as workers, women, migrants, racial, ethnic
and sexual minorities, among others - across very uneven information
societies in the world. Furthermore, because power relations and social
orientations are often embedded in the very designs of ICTs, researchers
should be sensitive to the diverse and multiple needs of the public in the
technological design of ICTs. Similarly, educators at all levels should be
empowered to develop curricula that provide training not only in the uses
of ICTs as workers and consumers, but also in the critical assessment of
ICTs, the institutional and social contexts of their development and
implementation, as well as their creative uses for active citizenship.
These issues have largely been ignored by WSIS.

We furthermore have repeatedly underlined the unique role of ICTs in
socio-economic development and in promoting the fulfilment of
internationally agreed development goals, including those contained in the
Millennium Declaration. This is not least true in the reference to access
to information and universal primary education. To secure the fulfilment
of these goals, it is of key importance that the issue of ICTs as tools
for improvement of education is also incorporated in the broader
development strategies at both national and international levels.

	Media

We are pleased that the principle of freedom of expression has been
reaffirmed in the WSIS II texts and that they echo much of the language of
Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. While we are also
pleased that the Tunis Commitment recognises the place of the media in a
new Information Society, this should never have been in question.

In the future, representatives of the media should be assured a place in
all public forums considering development of the Internet and all other
relevant aspects of the Information Society. As key actors in the
Information Society, the media must have a place at the table, and this
must be fully recognized both by governments and by Civil Society itself.

While recognizing media and freedom of expression, the WSIS documents are
weak on offering support for developing diversity in the media sector.
They specifically neglect a range of projects and initiatives which are of
particular value for civil society: Community media, telecenters,
grassroots and civil society-based media. These media empower people for
independent and creative participation in knowledge-building and
information-sharing. They represent the prime means for large parts of the
world population to participate in the information society and should be
an integral part of implementation of the goals of the Geneva Declaration.

The WSIS documents also mostly focus on market-based solutions and
commercial use. Yet the internet, satellite, cable and broadcast systems
all utilize public resources, such as airwaves and orbital paths. These
should be managed in the public interest as publicly owned assets through
transparent and accountable regulatory frameworks to enable the equitable
allocation of resources and infrastructure among a plurality of media
including community media. We reaffirm our commitment that commercial use
of these resources begins with a public interest obligation.

Health Information
[Health and ICTs WG is working on making it more specifically relate to
the WSIS outcomes]

WSIS has failed to recognize the importance of access to health
information and knowledge as essential to collective and individual human
development and a critical factor in the public physical and mental health
care crises around the world.  It is essential that health care systems
include a holistic approach that addresses the prevention, treatment, and
promotion of mental and physical health care for all people and to achieve
the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).

It is important to recognize that physical and mental health expertise and
scientific knowledge is essential to aid disease stricken, as well as
traumatized populations affected by war, terrorism, disaster and other
events, and the implementation of ICT systems for physical and mental
health information and services must be a two-way path recognizing
cultural and community norms and values.

It is essential that healthcare specialists, practitioners, and consumers
participate in the development of public policy addressing privacy and
related issues regarding physical and mental health information affecting
information and delivery systems.

Children and young people in the information society

[Current text is edited Children’s Rights Caucus contribution. Youth
Caucus will submit its part later.]
We support articles 11, 13 and 16 of the Geneva Declaration of Principles
and Plan of Action; articles 90q and 92 of the Tunis Declaration and
article 24 of the Tunis Commitment. In doing so, we encourage the greater
inclusion of children and young people – as key current and future telecom
users and creators. We support the great opportunities that ICTs offer
children and young people and recognize the potential dangers that
children and young people face in relation to ICTs.  In this regard we had
hoped that WSIS supports our proposals on children’s rights, participation
and protection in the information society. These include, inter alia,
making ICTs and connectivity available to all children; making ICTs an
integral part of the formal and informal educational sectors; protecting
children and young people from the potential risks posed by using new
technologies, including access to inappropriate content, inappropriate or
unwanted contact and commercial pressures; fighting the use of ICTs to
exploit and abuse children. Through this, we are committed to work in the
WSIS follow-up process towards a world where telecommunication allows
children and young people to be heard one-by-one and through their voices,
fulfil their rights and true potential to shape the world.

Ethical Dimensions

Values and ethics should be held as the ideal vision to underpin all
aspects of individuals and organizations. Both should be regarded as
central and thematic when evaluating ICTs as tools to enable just and
peaceable conditions for humanity. The ethical dimensions are overarching
and imperative and not value-added dimensions. These dimensions are
clearer and stronger in the Geneva Declaration than the Tunis texts.

The Tunis Agenda and Commitment are commendable in that they affirmed the
Geneva Declaration’s emphasis on a people-centred, sustainable
development-oriented and human rights-based information society. But WSIS
in Tunis failed to restate what Geneva considered acts inimical to the
information society such as racism, intolerance, hatred, violence and others.

Geneva lifted the ethical values of respect for peace and the fundamental
values of freedom, equality, solidarity, tolerance, shared responsibility,
and respect for nature as enunciated in the Millennium Declaration. Tunis
should have improved on these by including the principles of trust,
stewardship and shared responsibility together with digital solidarity.

The strong emphasis on technology in the Tunis texts must not eclipse the
human being as the subject of communication and development. Our humanity
rests in our capacity to communicate with each other and create community.
The technologies we develop, and the solidarities we forge, must build
relationships, trust, and cohesion. It is in the respectful dialogue among
peoples and in the sharing of values among peoples, in the plurality of
cultures and civilizations that meaningful and accountable communication
thrives. The Tunis texts do not give clear indications on how this can happen.

Beyond Tunis, we must encourage all stakeholders to weave ethics and
values language in working on semantic web knowledge structures. This can
help balance current dominant market values and the commodification of
knowledge and attendant business logic. Communication rights and justice
is about making human communities as the home of technology and human
relationships as technology’s heart.

IV. Where to go from here – our Tunis commitment

Civil society is committed to continuing its involvement in the future
mechanisms for policy debate, implementation and follow-up on information
society issues. To do this, civil society will build on the processes and
structures that were developed during the WSIS process.

Element one: Evolution of our internal organization

Civil society will work on the continued evolution of the current
structures. This will include the use of existing thematic caucuses and
working groups, the possible creation of new caucuses, and the use of the
Civil Society Plenary, the Civil Society Bureau, and the Civil Society
Content and Themes Group. We will organise at a date to be determined to
launch the process of creating a Civil Society charter.

Element two: Involvement in the Internet Governance Forum

In specific reference to the Internet Governance Forum, in addition to
continuing to develop the consensus notion of the CS Internet Governance
caucus, discussions are under way to create a new working group that will
focus on making recommendations on the modalities of the new forum.

Element three: Involvement in follow-up and implementation

In order to ensure that the future implementation and follow-up mechanisms
respect the spirit and letter of the Tunis documents and that governments
uphold the commitments they have made during this second phase of the
WSIS, civil society mechanisms will be used and created to ensure
•	the proactive monitoring at the national level of the implementation of
the Geneva Plan of Action and the Tunis Agenda by governments;
•	a structured interaction with all UN agencies and international
organisations to ensure that they integrate the WSIS objectives in their
own work plan, and that they put in place effective mechanisms for
multistakeholder interaction;
•	that the information society as a complex social political phenomenon is
not reduced to a technology-centred perspective. The ECOSOC Commission on
Science and Technology for Development will have to significantly change
its mandate and composition to adequately address the needs for being an
effective follow-up mechanism for WSIS whilst re-affirming its original
mission of developing science and technology, in addition to ICTs, for the
development objectives of poor countries;
•	not only that the reformed Commission on Science and Technology for
Development becomes a truly multi-stakeholder commission for the
information society, but also, that the process to revise it's mandate,
composition and agenda is done in a fully open and inclusive manner.

Element four: Lessons learned for the UN system in general

We see the WSIS process as an experience to be learned from for the
overall UN system and processes. We will therefore work with the United
Nations and all stakeholders on
•	developing clearer and less bureaucratic rules of recognition for
accrediting civil society organisations in the UN system, for instance on
obtaining ECOSOC status and summit accreditation, to ensure that national
governmental recognition of civil society entities is not the premise for
official recognition in the UN system;
•	ensuring that all future summit processes be multi–stakeholder in their
approach, allowing for due flexibility. This would be achieved either by
recognition of precedents set in summit processes, or by formulating a
rules of procedure manual to guide future summit processes and day-to-day
civil society interaction with the international community.

Element five: Outreach to other constituencies

The civil society constituency that closely associated with the WSIS
process is conscious that the information society, as its name suggests,
is a society-wide phenomenon, and advocacy on Information society issues
need to include every interest and every group. We therefore commit
ourselves in the post-WSIS period to work to broaden our reach to
different civil society constituencies that for various reasons have not
been active in the WSIS process, may have shown scepticism over the role
of ICTs in their core areas of activity, or for other reasons have
remained disengaged from the information society discourse.