[Telecentres] introducing the new Digital Divide Network

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Mon Dec 13 11:30:11 GMT 2004

Hi everyone,

A couple of months ago, you may recall that I posted a message about the
creation of an online workspace for the telecentres group, to be hosted
on our new Digital Divide Network website. The website was launched this
morning, and you are all invited to join.

http://www.digitaldivide.net

I've set up a workspace for our group here:

http://www.digitaldivide.net/community/telecentres

As you'll see, the workspace allows us to share documents, participate
in bulletin board discussions, post articles, news and events listings,
even host our own blogs. The site also uses RSS feeds, which allow
Internet users to receive content from the website through their own
sites or through news reading software.

Our list has been very quiet for the last month, and I apologize for not
doing more to facilitate a more active discussion, largely due to all
the work on the new website. But now that the site is live, I'm hoping
to pick up where we left off in October.

Below is an announcement about the new website, including instructions
for signing up. I'd encourage all of you to create a user account so we
can actively use the online workspace in our caucus work.

thanks,

Andy Carvin

----------------------------

It is our great pleasure to announce that the Digital Divide Network has
just launched its new website:

http://www.digitaldivide.net

Five years ago this week, we created the first Digital Divide Network
website and email discussion group. Since then, DDN has grown into a
network of over 3,000 people in more than 75 countries.

We invite you to visit the site and try out all the new features we've
created for you and other DDN members. As a DDN member, you now have
access to a variety of powerful tools that will allow you to:

- create your own blog

- host your own online community workspace featuring document sharing,
online publishing and bulletin board discussions

- access DDN content through RSS feeds

- publish your own news headlines, event announcements and articles

- participate in live webcasts hosted by DDN staff

To get started, please visit http://www.digitaldivide.net and click on
the link that says "join DDN now!" near the top left corner of the page.
Or simply go to this page: http://www.digitaldivide.net/members/add.php

After you've filled out the form, you'll receive an email asking you to
confirm your membership. Click on the link provided in the email and
your membership will be activated. Then return to the DDN homepage and
log in.

Once you've logged in, click the button that says "Edit My Profile"
(http://www.digitaldivide.net/members/edit.php), also in the top left
corner. Be sure to update your name and your password, since the ones
we've set up for you are temporary. You can then customize your personal
profile so other DDN members can learn more about you.

DDN Highlights

Once you've logged into DDN, you can take advantage of the website's
many features, including blogs, bulletin boards and other tools. Here
are some great places to start.

Browse our articles and headlines:
http://www.digitaldivide.net

On the homepage, you'll see some of the many feature articles and news
stories published on DDN. As a member of DDN, you are encouraged to post
your own articles on the website.

Create a blog:
http://www.digitaldivide.net/blogs/add.php

Web logs, or "blogs," are online journals. Post your own thoughts and
announcements on issues related to the digital divide. Think of it as a
public diary or your own personal newsletter!

Join a discussion:
http://www.digitaldivide.net/discussion

We've set up bulletin boards for DDN members to discuss a range of
issues related to the digital divide. In fact, every community within
DDN has its own discussion board. Feel free to introduce yourself on our
Welcome Wagon discussion board - it's a great place to break the ice!

Join a community:
http://www.digitaldivide.net/comm/

DDN is more than just a website; it's a collection of online communities
in which you can discuss the digital divide, Internet literacy, economic
development and other interesting topics. Each community is like an
online workspace: you can post news, articles and event announcements,
upload documents, share favorite Web resources and chat in a bulletin
board room. You can start by browsing the communities hosted on DDN.
When you see one that's interesting, go to the community's homepage and
click the link at the top that says, "Join this community." This will
allow you to participate in that group.

On behalf of DDN and the Center for Media & Community, we hope you enjoy
the new website. Please consider it a place where you can share your
best ideas with colleagues from around the world, so we may work
together to develop new real-world strategies for bridging the digital
divide.

Thanks,

Andy Carvin
Director, DDN