[bytesforall_readers] Re: RE: [Telecentres] how many / emergency systems

Profitinafrica at aol.com Profitinafrica at aol.com
Wed Dec 29 16:24:32 GMT 2004

Dear Colleagues

A very short observation regarding the discussion about the value of
different systems in an emergency situation like the current tsunami disaster. The sad
news is that there will be a considerable mobilization of resources in the
aftermath of enormous death and destruction, and discussion and (probably)
funding for a multi-million tsunami warning system for the Indian and Atlantic
Oceans ... and lots of relief activity and even quite a lot of relief funding.

But at the end of the day the basic economics of most of the regions most
affected by the disaster will be left worse than it was before, and the
investment needed to have even reasonable levels of infrastructure (transport / safe
water and sanitation / communications / etc) will not be made and the situation
will be as bad or worse than before. When the media goes home so will donor
priorities, official development assistance and national government
intervention. There is a need for an alternative development paradigm driven by community
needs!

While the top 10% of the world  has seen amazing progress over the past forty
years, the bottom 50% has gone substantially backwards. This is because the
basic dynamics of development are not being adequately understood by
development leadership, and the results are plain to see. We need to be clear, spending
on relief is NOT development, and typically relief expenditures dries up the
budgets for development. Watch this play out in 2005!

More than anything else I want to see all communities able to communicate
with the external world, 10 miles away or 10,000 miles away. The technology is
available. It could easily be funded and be sustainable. Why is it not being
done? Mainly the regulatory regimes, the priorities of government ... and
discounting heavily the needs and priorities of remote and rural communities.

And when communities communicate, it would be nice if someone was listening,
and able to offer the sort of development investment that the communities are
asking for. What a novel idea!

Enough ..... but a lot of the death is a result of extreme poverty and failed
development that has ignored what would have been reasonable to get done.

Sincerely

Peter Burgess

Peter Burgess
Tr-Ac-Net in New York