[Telecentres] Re: Basic Telecentre Items - avoid open source debate

Bevis England bevis at telework.co.nz
Sun Oct 3 11:08:30 BST 2004

Greetings all,

First a brief introduction:  I've been studying and thinking about
"telecentres" (and helping implement them) since the late '80s.  A number of
key lessons have been learned over this time.  Two points are worth making
at this stage.

First, the important thing is not what equipment or software a telecentre
should or must have, and neither is it important to try and define precisely
what a telecentre is (or what it should be called).   It is more important
to recognise what a telecentre can be -- and it can be many things.
Everything else about the telecentre can be defined by the intended users --
not the implementers, the researchers, or theorists.  Unless the telecentre
matches what it is needed in its target community it will not be relevant,
it will not be used, and it will not be sustainable.

With this in mind, it will be impossible to define what a telecentre is --
it will take a different from in every setting.  And therefore trying to
list specific equipment or software will always be a sideshow to the real
issues.

For myself, a telecentre is simply somewhere where telework happens.
(Telework is defined, in this context, as doing it from a distance --
however the 'it' is defined: employment, information access, education,
health, etc.)  Starting from this perspective it is possible to identify the
12 major 'products' a telecentre can 'market', and evaluate each market in
any given location.  Every location then ends up with a different mix of
products, a different set of financial imperatives, and a different
sustainability equation.

Perhaps the question is not what makes up a telecentre or what it is, but
rather what market research has been done in each location and what specific
questions need to be asked or answered.

The second, but related, point is that telecentres are a means to an end,
not an end in themselves.  They are a 'tool' to be used when appropriate,
once the tasks are understood.  The practical implication of this, for me,
is that talking about telecentres and trying to insert them into
bureaucratic debates is a bit like trying to create a standard for a hammer,
regardless of the type and size of nail, and regardless of the building site
or factory.  As a consultant, I have found it much more useful and effective
to identify what the tasks are first, what does the community need.  Only
then can we know whether a telecentre will be useful and what it should
provide.

Regards,

Bevis England
Box 60-469, Titirangi, Waitakere City,  0-9-811 8024
Telework New Zealand  www.telework.co.nz
Work Raft Trust  www.workraft.org.nz