[Telecentres] Re: Basic Telecentre Items - avoid open source debate

Jacqueline A. Morris jam at callaloo.co.tt
Sun Oct 3 14:52:10 BST 2004

What's a generic telecentre? I think that the telecentre needs (tech esp)
will definitely vary according to the purpose and community in which it is
based. For example, a telecentre that serves a geographically disperse rural
community would have very different needs from a telecentre that serves poor
urban youth in a densely populated area, for example. In a place where
telephones are common, the telecentre will serve different needs to one in
which it may also have to serve as a basic communications center...
Maybe we can define several kinds of generic telecentre based on community
needs,as well as the type of country it's in and the potential facilities,
such as telecomms.
If we do that, then we can maybe develop the "best" setup for certain types
of centre and that can be a starting point.
Jacqueline