[Telecentres] Re: Basic Telecentre Items - avoid open source debate

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sun Oct 3 15:38:46 BST 2004

Jacqueline A. Morris wrote:

>What's a generic telecentre? I think that the telecentre needs (tech esp)
>will definitely vary according to the purpose and community in which it is
>based. For example, a telecentre that serves a geographically disperse rural
>community would have very different needs from a telecentre that serves poor
>urban youth in a densely populated area, for example. In a place where
>telephones are common, the telecentre will serve different needs to one in
>which it may also have to serve as a basic communications center...
>Maybe we can define several kinds of generic telecentre based on community
>needs,as well as the type of country it's in and the potential facilities,
>such as telecomms.
>If we do that, then we can maybe develop the "best" setup for certain types
>of centre and that can be a starting point.
>Jacqueline

Makes sense. I liked Don's explanation on the Telecentres in Australia,
for emergency needs. So far, the basic template I have come up with is:

<--Communication<->Local Society<->Knowledge-->
|________________External Society_____________|

Where External Society itself is made up of other entities such as this.
The beauty of this is that it scales well, and interconnects well. So in
looking at generic Telecentres, we would need to define the *context* of
the following:

(1) Local Society: The needs of the local community, as well as the
assets of the local community...
(2) Knowledge; the specific types of knowledge involved.
(3) Communication; not necessarily internet (though from the WGIG
perspective, we will have to focus on that).
(4) External Society

Consider this: A Telecentre could very well be within a hospital where
Doctors and Nurses communicate their knowledge to external society in
their own Telecentres. And these Telecentres together form a larger
Telecentre. Communication is two way; we should remember that. Otherwise
we're just talking about broadcasting and receiving.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

" It requires greater courage to preserve inner freedom, to move on in one's inward journey into new realms, than to stand defiantly for outer freedom."— Rollo May