[Telecentres] Basic Telecentre Items/ICT Definition

David Leeming PFnet leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Mon Oct 4 16:39:10 BST 2004

Then perhaps a definition of a Telecentre needs to map out the functions these human resources perform. There are also functions that are required for useful information exchange to take place, that may not be strictly associated with the telecentre. These include awareness raising, training, mobilisation of the stakeholders all along the information "chain" including the "knowledge centres" (in a country like ours, CRM is not widely practiced....the central institutions are often the worst at communication). ICT strategy building is important, too. In fact it is difficult to see where to demarkate a telecentre, looking at it from the "information flow" point of view.

As a simple example, to allow rural people to obtain legal advice by email, it was not as simple and notifying them of the (say) Public Solicitor's email address. We had to train (remotely) the rural ICT operators to publicise it and raise awareness, hold meetings with the Public Solicitor and other stakeholders and discuss the procedures required and other practicalities, and above all get everyone on board. (now it works marvellously). Information doesn't just flow - it needs to be driven by the knowledge owners as much as their "customers" or "clients".

I suppose we are getting into a defination of "content" as well as "function".

David