[Telecentres] working group background, organizing principles

Karin Delgadillo Poepsel karin at chasquinet.org
Wed Oct 6 18:52:15 BST 2004

Hi to everybody,

While I know that we are discussing what is a telecentre.  I want to
share my insights of somos en telecentros and the Wsis process that can
contribute to clarify the role of the working group that has been
created the same to give insights to Elisabeth. Sorry for my spanglish.
Do not hesitate to make questions if you do not understand my spanglish.

Somos en telecentros www.tele-centros.org has been working on the sidelines
of the WSIS process. By sidelines I mean that we used the spaces that
has been formed specially by civil society. In fact we participated in
the declaration of Ministries in Bavaro and in the prepcoms in Geneva.
Carlos Afonso from RITS  in Brazil has been working with the civil
society closely in all the prepecoms. As a product of our second
regional encounter celebrated in Quito, april 2003, we did the
declaration for  the prepcoms of WSIS in a consultation process with our
members. The url is
http://www.tele-centros.org/comunidad/encuentros/regionalII/declaracion.htm,
you also can fin in the WSIS web page. This declaration it is still
lying in a beautiful paper, websites and in some books that people and
organizations who are involved  WSIS promoted and printed.  So we are
still succeeding with failure in order that WSIS take in consideration
some of the needs of somos en telecentros network and I am still looking
that the energy that we invested in this process will attend the needs
of our constituencies.

However we used this process to develop a strategy inside of
somos en telecentros on how the practitioners of somos en telecentros could
influence in policies and regulations and do lobby. It has been a
extremely hard experience for the practitioners of somos en telecentros
network, becauser se realize that we need training. That is why we
worked hardly in developing the first online and face to face training
workshops on policies, regulations and advocacy of telecentres,
concentrating very much on supporting the profile of practitioners of
telecentres in the national chapters of somos en telecentros network for
lobbying and advocacy.  So in this way will be these leaders who will
advocate the needs of the telecentres practitioners and thier
communties. They will  do  the link from the ground level to the
national, regional and global level.  So practitioners can be trained
and be in the places were the decisions are taking place in the
national  and regional level. It is very important to define a regional
agenda and participate in spaces like WSIS in order to advocate their
needs. Please see the summary of this process in
http://www.tele-centros.org/politicas/cursopoliticasonline.htm
A book and a cd is going to be printed very soon, manual for
practitioners of telecentres for lobbying and advocacy of polices and
regulations to advocate the needs of the communities that are using
telecentres will be launch at the end of this month. This process has
been supported by IDRC and ICA. We are still working hard in the
training process of the practitioners of telecentres to advocate, lobby
and influence in policies and regulations for telecentres. The second
phase of this process is to consolidate a regional team of influencing
in policies and regulations of somos en telecentros based on the national
agendas of the telecentres. We are still still search for support to
strength this process.

One of my biggest concerns in the creation of this list and defining a
work group  is that it still exist a gap of those who are in the
international scenarios such as in WSIS and the real communities  and
practitioners of telecentres who are in the ground facing challenges to
survive. It is not linked the process of wsis with the real needs and
demands that practitioners of telecentres and their communities are
facing. It exist of course intermediaries that interpret their needs but
the real appropriation and mechanism of communication are not in place.
So it would be a role and responsibility of this group to find
mechanisms to express the voice of those who are directly on the ground.

In what way WSIS can be a platform to advocate their needs and find
strategies to full fill their demands by establish methods and
mechanisms from the ground level to the global level?  Elisabeth would
be great if you incorporate in the workgroup that you are suggesting,
how it should be address this challenge?.

I am thinking loudly in order to find common understanding of what are
the real issues that as telecentres should advocate based on the needs
of its constituencies and use the scenarios as WSIS or others in order
to advocate their needs and influence in policies.

I am a person that instead of doing new things we should use the spaces
that has been already created, make bridges in order to have a better
influence and brake the isolation, use the capacities of organizations
that are already working in this issues and define mechanisms to have a
stronger impact. I strongly belief on networks so I would suggest to
focus on the challenges of the past, our failures in this process and
find a common strategy based on the needs of our constituencies  so
mechanisms are in place as well.
.
I would love to know what has been the experience of practitioners of
telecentres and networks that has bee participating in the WSIS process.
How are linking the needs of their constituencies and what process was
set up in place in order to have a better impact.

This are my five cents.

Karin
Board Member somos en telecentres
Latin American and the Caribbean community
base telecentre Network
www.tele-centros.org