[Telecentres] Civil Society group update WSIS II

Don Cameron donc at internode.on.net
Mon Oct 25 23:26:14 BST 2004

Scott thanks for this information - What are your feelings? Are the current
Civil Society delegates likely to continue supporting WSIS or is the
"writing on the wall" now the true oligarchy of WSIS has raised its head?

For what its worth, I for one hope Civil Society continues to maintain a
presence and that WSIS is capable of incorporating some elements of
democracy and accepts the input of sectors like our own Telecentre movement
("one person one vote" is probably asking too much but I remain in hope!)...
we would certainly be more supportive were we at least given some degree of
acknowledgement that as foundation members of this "Information Society", we
do own an investment in the outcomes.

Yet I remain convinced that WSIS is still an important part of the mission
to foster political support in countries lacking a commitment to open
information exchange... maybe we (Civil Society) are just not required to
support this agenda and should instead focus as we have always done on local
development and change?

Best regards, Don