[Telecentres] Counting telecentres

Toby Beresford toby.beresford at microaid.net
Fri Sep 24 16:48:53 BST 2004

I think this group could do a great service if we could collectively
stand up at the next WSIS and describe / demonstrate a profitable
telecentre model that could be rolled out by small entrepreneurs,
non-profits and governments alike, worldwide.

A model proven to benefit both the social and financial bottom line
could be publicised through the great array of existing telecentre
networks on this list and via WSIS itself.

By including profit (or at least "surplus") in the telecentre model we
can ensure that it is scalable virally - you don't have to have a social
mission to want to invest in setting up a telecentre.

To do this I think we would need look and review the revenue streams and
costs at a simple level from working telecentres. Do they stack up? How
can ideas and revenue streams from other telecentres be included in our
own projects? How critical are local and external factors?

Toby Beresford
MicroAid

Toby Beresford
Managing Director
MicroAid.net - Online centres that encourage local people to get active,
empower communities and engage donors
New! e-book: How to get online donations - Download it free from
http://www.microaid.net/ebook/
tel: +44 (0) 845 057 3371