[SPAM] - Re: [Telecentres] Going forward - Email found in subject

Hallam Hope caritel at freemotion.bb
Mon Sep 27 06:27:21 BST 2004

Dear All,

The issue of structure is interesting because it has been a point of some
minority dissent in another civil society group with whch I am associated.
In practice it need not be because some like myself have no interest in
speaking or "representing" anybody. In the Caribbean we have insularity
within the English-speaking countries and then there is the
Spanish-speaking, French-speaking etc. a whole dichotomy of cultures etc.
The Vice Chair should essentially be a focal point and any spokesperson-type
role should merely represent the stated interests from the area.
For example, last year I volunteered to co-odinate a WSIS position paper for
civil society on ICT. A small group of persons helped to put it together and
I did the overall writing/editing. It was then circulated to the group with
a deadline for inputs, which were included.
The same can be done for tele-centres with a specific paper coming from the
Caribbean based on the inputs from civil society in this region.
The same could be done for other hemisperhic regions.
But we need some co-ordination, some folk to take the lead and some
guidelines on what it is we want to achieve and focus on.
We really are not talking about bureaucracy or speaking on behalf of others,
simply getting their inputs and representing those positions.

Hallam
Bridgetown, Barbados