[Telecentres] requesting immediate feedback: telecentres/education statement

Anna Badimo anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Wed Feb 23 07:12:18 GMT 2005

Hi Andy and All,

I agree with the principle of using schools, universities, libraries, etc. as
ICT centres that can be used as community hubs. In fact, its an ideal model
because there is no point having a school computer lab that only benefits the
learners and teachers of that school but is not accessible to members of that
community. However, there are practical limitations that often get overlooked
either in the cost models used or the implementation strategies. These local
practicalities tend to overshadow the benefits of such centres from being
truly realized.

1. Cost models
These models do not take into cognisance the practicality associated with the
costs of securing the facilities concerned. Once a school makes available its
labs to the community, whose responsibility is it to secure the facilities,
the school or the community or both? And how will such an arrangement be
managed? Some schools incur costs associated with putting CCTV to secure
facilities, will that be included as part of the infrasctructure costs?
Instead of being an advantage to some schools, these labs end up being a
management and security burden. Some strategies have been to involve the
community in the projects, there successes but there are failures as well.

2. Implementation
In terms of using a schools as a multi-purpose access points, serving both
educational institutions and the community, the issue of content becomes
important. For the school, the content should enhance learning and teaching;
and for the community, the content should be relevant to their day-today
challenges. In order for these access points to succeed in terms of knowledge
building, it is very crucial that regional open courseware and local content
be developed. And this is one of the areas where Linuxchix Africa sees itself
playing a role.

Best Regards
Anna Badimo

--