[Telecentres] ICTs & Disaster Risk Reduction / Protecting communities

Laurent Straskraba laurent at straskraba.net
Sun Jan 2 15:20:47 GMT 2005

Dear all,

I think many people just get aware these days how such disasters as the
great wave in the Indian Ocean, tsunamis, earth quakes, deforestation, and
other forms of environmental impact are affecting people around the globe.
Now it should be obvious to anyone that we need to help each other if we
want to help ourselves.

For further information on disaster management and prevention, I'd like to
mention the following examples of disaster prevention one could follow up:

- http://www.unosat.org (UN Satellite imagery for all)
- http://www.ranetproject.net (International protection project against
natural hazards for the poor)
- http://www.crid.or.cr/crid/ing/index_ing.html (Regional Disaster
Information Center for Latin America and the Caribbean)
- http://www.unisdr.org (International Strategy for Disaster Reduction)
- http://swiki.ucar.edu/dd/ (Disaster Dynamics, also for K-12 education)
- http://www.esri.com/news/arcuser/1003/umbrella.html (ESRI article on
Protecting Communities)
- http://sciencepolicy.colorado.edu/socasp/toc_img.html (Societal Aspects
of Weather)

I'd be very interested to support better public information systems,
especially in the Asia-Pacific region.

Best regards,

Laurent

---
Mag. Laurent Straskraba
Information Society Researcher

International Partnership & Fund Raising Affiliate
World Summit Award
http://www.wsis-award.org

Information Society Representative
United Nations Youth & Student Association of Austria
http://www.afa.at

post: Ontlstrasse 3, A - 4040 Linz, Austria / Europe
mobile: +43.650.7711861 (GMT +1)
e-mail: laurent at straskraba.net
web: http://www.straskraba.net
---