[Telecentres] ICTs & Disaster Risk Reduction / Protectingcommunities

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Tue Jan 4 09:52:27 GMT 2005

And for those who haven't heard the story yet, a former telecentre
trainee in Singapore contacted his colleagues and family back in
Nallavadu, India, warning them about the tsunami, allowing them to use
the telecentre's resources to save the lives of all their fellow villagers.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/01/01/stories/2005010107320100.htm

I think we need to start exploring ways of articulating the vital role
telecentres can play in public safety and emergency response situations
like the tsunami: coordinating community response, collecting the latest
news/info, interaction point with govt officials, etc. No doubt the
tsunami will be on people's minds during the February Prepcom, and
stories like this will help us emphasize the need for telecentres and
how they can go well beyond serving as a place for surfing the Web or
checking email....

So with the holidays over and the Prepcom only six weeks away, we need
to start preparing for the meeting:

Who among us will participate in the prepcom?
What messages do we wish to convey to governments participating there?
What goals do we wish to accomplish during the meeting?

I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on these questions.

thanks,
ac

ps- I've set up a news aggregator regarding the tsunami, if anyone is
interested: http://www.tsunami-info.org

Andy Carvin
Program Director
EDC Center for Media & Community