[Telecentres] An Urgent request to Telecentre's and other IT Support networks for support & assistance in Indonesia

Don Cameron donc at internode.on.net
Wed Jan 5 20:59:41 GMT 2005

Dear list members,

As some of you may know I host the Software Support Forum for Techsoup.org
(www.techsoup.org). Our mission is to provide ICT and Systems Management
Support to global NPO's. Currently we support more than 2,000 NPO's, many of
which are assisting Tsunami victims.

This morning I received an urgent request for assistance from the Yayasan
Foundation (www.idepfoundation.org/), an Indonesian NPO providing aid by
coordinating aid flights from Bali to Tsunami impacted areas of Indonesia.
This org is not a foreign aid agency trying to help; they are Indonesians
helping Indonesians during a time of extreme tragedy. The Yayasan Foundation
is also the sole Indonesian NPO running a Community Crisis Response
Curriculum and providing a Community Based Crisis Response Kit throughout
Indonesia developed in the wake of the Bali Bombing tragedy
(www.idepfoundation.org/idep_crisis_response.html). They are arguably at the
fore of introducing NPO's and the spirit of volunteerism throughout
Indonesia in this time of great need.

This org urgently requires support for the Macintosh computer platform
(something I cannot help them with), and other areas of basic computing on a
24x7 basis until such time as critical relief efforts begin to wind back.
The task would be suitable for a network of Telecentre's able to provide
24x7 remote support, or even more ideally, for any Telecentre's or other IT
support networks operating out of Bali who could possibly attend in person
to provide hands-on assistance. Of course if any IT professionals are
planning on travelling to Bali and willing to lend a hand this would be
fantastic. Donations of computer hardware would also be gratefully received.

This is a very legitimate request and I would ask that any replies or offers
be forwarded to myself in the first instance, or if you are uncomfortable
with this, please post to the TechSoup Software Forum at:
http://www.techsoup.org/community/index.cfm?cg=header&sg=community

This is really a time for the Telecentre community to get together and
demonstrate the strengths we so often talk about. Your help is urgently
needed.

Kind regards,

Don Cameron
(TechSoup Software Forum Host www.techsoup.org)