[Telecentres] Refugees: The Liberians of Buduburam

Andy Carvin acarvin at edc.org
Mon Nov 7 19:18:49 GMT 2005

Hi everyone,

This weekend I finally finished editing a nine-minute documentary short
about my visit to the Liberian refugee camp in Buduburam, Ghana. In the
video I visit a telecentre offering computer training to young
Liberians, as well as a women's adult literacy support group. I've
posted two versions of the video to my blog. The high-res version is 50
megabytes, while the low-res version is 20 megabytes. Both versions
include text captions. I will try to make an even smaller version but it
might make the text captioning very difficult to read.

http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2005/11/refugees_the_li_1.html

To view the high-res version, simply click on the picture or the link
"video documentary." For the low res version, you'll have to cut and
paste the URL included in the text. I could only link to one of the two
versions; otherwise it would cause problems for users who subscribe to
my videos via my RSS feed.

Production notes:

The video was shot on location in Buduburam, Ghana in July 2005. Video
was captured using an eight megapixel Konica Minolta Dimage a-200
digital camera; audio was captured on an Olympus WS-200S handheld
digital audio recorder. The captured files were uploaded to my G4 Mac
laptop and edited with Final Cut Pro. Soundtrack includes music of
Ghanaian drummer Obo Addy, used with permission of Alula Records. Video
compressed to Quicktime using Final Cut Pro and the 3ivx codec. Total
time: approximately 30 hours over three months.

Contact information for both projects profiled in the video can be found
at the end of the video.

--
Andy Carvin