[Telecentres] Laptops For Ghana

Don Osborn dzo at bisharat.net
Fri Dec 1 16:32:34 GMT 2006

Hi Jennifer, Just a quick thought with relevance for projects like this (and
telecenter projects in general), and that is the importance of the "last
mile" of internationalization.

Internationalization ("i18n") of course is in major part the enabling of
computer systems to handle diverse languages. A lot of work has gone into
i18n, including the Unicode standard, and the design of systems to handle
it. Most of this is not apparent to computer users, or even project
designers, but gradually the newer systems (Windows, Linux, Mac) are built
with this in mind. Even older systems (such as the ubiquitous Windows98) can
handle diverse scripts in Unicode.

The "last mile" is just a way of making sure that the benefits of
internationalization are carried through to the systems distributed in
countries like Ghana. In practical terms this means first of all
installation of fonts with the alphabets or characters used in all languages
of the beneficiary community. In the case of Ghana, several languages use
extended Latin alphabets that are covered with such free "Unicode fonts."

Such fonts permit display (and composition) of documents and web content in
these orthographies.

A next step in that last mile is fonts that include other alphabets,
especially if you're talking about schools and the potential to broaden
kids' horozons - Arabic, Ethiopic (another part of Africa, but SIL has a
free font), if possible CJK, and so on.

A further step, returning to the indigenous languages issue, is input:
keyboard layouts. This requires a little more effort but there are programs
that let one design keyboard layout options that users can use (switch into,
without nullifying basic QWERTY English layout for instance) to facilitate
typing with extended Latin (or non-Latin) alphabets.

Without such basic measures, the benefits of i18n do not accrue to local
communities. Donated computers do not have to be "English-only" and taking
them that last mile of i18n takes a minimum of effort and resources. Think
of it as a value-added thing if nothing else - by "activating" (in effect)
the i18n potential of systems distributed in the countries, there re a lot
of potential benefits that we might not readily think of or even be able to
predict.

Please contact me offline if it would be helpful to have some more
information on these steps.

Best of luck with your project and efforts! All the best...

Don Osborn
Bisharat.net
PanAfrican Localisation project