[Telecentres] Business Model and sustainability issues

Klaus Stoll klaus at chasquinet.org
Mon Jan 23 15:04:50 GMT 2006

Dear Shahid

Greetings from Quito, Ecuador. My organization, Fundacion Chasquinet, has
together with the regional Telecenter network for Latin America and the Caribbean
Somos2Telecentros worked since many years on developing Sustainability models
for telecenters. we understand Sustainability not only as financial but also as
political, social, technical and cultural sustainability. Our work resulted in a
telecenter sustainability toolkit available on CD,( sorry, so far only available in
spanish, a short preview can be seen at
www.telecentros.org/sostenibilidad/toolkit1.1.htm. The toolkit was supported by
IDRC, ICA and the reproduction supported by TCO). The toolkit contains in a
interactive way hundreds of resources that help telecenters to reach sustenability.
As a very very short summary I can say that we came to the conclusion that
telecenters can and must be sustainable from the day they open their doors and that
this sustainability is only possible of the telecenter is really grassroots-up community
based following a business plan that is orientated on the needs and social capital
that are present in every community. Telecenter sustainability is no longer a wish, it
can be a reality but this reality can only be created based on a lot of work between
all stakeholders within the community. If interested I am happy to discuss this
further.

Yours

Klaus