[CC-czech] Creative Commons for the Czech Republic

Michelle Thorne michelle at creativecommons.org
Tue Apr 29 10:11:46 BST 2008

Dear Mr. Jirsa,

Yes, thank you very much for writing to us! As Catharina mentions, your
timing could not be better. We are indeed finalizing a Memorandum of
Understanding to be signed by a very dedicated and well-qualified team in
the Czech Republic. Once this step has been completed, the CC Czech project
will be officially underway and the license porting will begin.

With no further ado, it is my great pleasure to introduce you to Marek Tichy
of Iuridicum Remedium (www.iure.org), who will oversee the legal work of CC
Czech, including the linguistic and legal translation of the licenses to
Czech law. Please also allow me to introduce you to Lukas Gruber, who on
behalf of the National Library of the Czech Republic, will help conduct
community outreach and development. These gentlemen will be working in
collaboration with the Independent Authors Alliance (www.svazautoru.org) and
New Media Studies at the Charles University (http://novamedia.ff.cuni.cz/)
to officially begin the CC Czech project.

Also cc'ed in this message is the CC Czech mailing list, which includes
several other key individuals that will help coordinate the team's local
activities <cc-czech at gn.apc.org>.

To my knowledge, the CC Czech team plans to meet in early May to discuss the
MOU and other details of the project. I would like to kindly encourage you
to be in contact with the above individuals, and it is my hope that
together, you may all best determine a path for possible collaboration and
steps to develop Creative Commons in the Czech Republic.

Finally, for your reference, an overview of the license porting process can
be found here: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Worldwide_Overview

Thank you again for your kind email and your interest in Creative Commons!

Very best wishes to you,

Michelle Thorne

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Catharina Maracke <
catharina at creativecommons.org> wrote:

> Dear Mr. Jirsa,
> many thanks for your E-Mail and your interest in Creative Commons! I am
> delighted to hear that you would be willing to help working on a Czech
> version of the CC licenses. Your E-Mail just comes in time - we are in
> contact with a group of dedicated people and about to finalize the
> Memorandum of Understanding which we are planning to sign before we
> officially start the porting process.
>
> Michelle, our project manager, who is copied on this E-Mail can give you
> some more background details and introduce you to our Czech contacts.
>
> Thank you very much again.
>

> Catharina
> ..
> ............................................................................Dr.
> Catharina Maracke
> Director, Creative Commons International
> Gipsstrasse 12
> 10119 Berlin
> Phone: +49-30-28 09 39 09
> Fax: +49-30-28 09 39 10
>

> On Apr 27, 2008, at 5:23 PM, Jiri Jirsa wrote:
>
> Dear Ms Maracke,
>
> Prof. Boyle and Prof. Hugenholtz (Creative Commons Holland) suggested me
> to contact you concerning translation of the Creative Commons licence to
> Czech language. I and my organisation would be very happy to work on its
> implementation. However, could we please receive more information from you
> on the entire licence transformation process? Thank you in advance for your
> answer.
>
> Yours sincerely
> Jiri Jirsa
> jiri at jirsa.net
> +420605145772 (Czech mobile)
> Chairman, SPAP&IT (Copyright & IT Law Society)

Michelle Thorne
Creative Commons International
Gipsstrasse 12
10119 Berlin