[commedia] Re: [WSIS] the CRIS lists

dhalleck dhalleck at weber.ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 5 10:48:09 GMT 2002

Dear Community Media people:
My book is finally out!  Here is the press release.
xx
dd

HAND HELD VISIONS
The Impossible Possibilities of Community Media
WITH AUTHOR/MEDIA ACTIVIST
DEEDEE HALLECK

Praise for Hand-Held Visions:
"....nspires hope and spurs action and participation... This will be an
indispensable book for those committed to doing something about a
declining public sphere and helping democratize the media."
   ---Edward S. Herman, co-author (with Noam Chomsky) of Manufacturing
    Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media.

" This long-overdue collection of her writing offers a fabulously rich
selection that will get us all laughing out loud while we are plotting
how to get media-active."
     --Martha Rosler, artist and teacher

“Hand-Held Visions promises to be one of the most important books
chronicling the movement for access and media democracy.”
     —Patricia Zimmerann, Professor of Cinema and Photography, Ithaca
College

“This collection is an indomitable call to arms, to throw our energies
into radical alternative media.”
      —John Downing, John T. Jones, Jr. Centennial Professor In
Communications, University of Texas

Hand-Held Visions is a collection of essays, presentations, and lectures
that she has written throughout this process.  Halleck starts with a
discussion of her own development as a teacher, producer, and an active
participant in the struggle for media democracy. She gives the reader a
historical first-person perspective on the community-based media
movement and a sense of the determination and resolve that have enabled
often fragile and much embattled organizations and individuals to
survive in a climate dominated by global media corporations that are in
direct opposition to their work.

DeeDee Halleck, Professor Emerita of Communication  at the University of
California San Diego, is a filmmaker, video activist, media critic and
co-founder of Paper Tiger Television and Deep Dish Television.

Hand Held Visions    Fordham University Press 432pp, Illustrated
$25 Paperback
to purchase:           sales at a/kpress.org
or mnoonan at fordham.edu   directly at Fordham