[CMA] Ofcom's review of the Community Radio sector

Javed Sattar javed at awazfm.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 18:47:09 GMT 2006

Hi all

Of course there are concerns...and for those who were at the fantastic festival and AGM this was one of the issues raised. It's really difficult on what the right method is or what targets should remain or be set on this issue.

In one hand I do fear that if all the restrictions were lifted then there would be few who would solely seek advertising and just playing music to justify their need for community station without anything else.
It also wouldn’t be fair on those who are trying to pay the rent, keep the transmitter from switching off if the electricity suddenly wasn’t paid. Ok this might seem a bad analogy but reality. Passion of your station only goes so far and usually not more than 28 days of RSL.

Quality of content is important and I'm not saying we have to sound polished, but there has to be a level of quality the listener must find rewarding.

I think in terms of advertising for special interest groups might take a different angle, still not sure what that would be, and I would agree, like my dear friends (Phil K.) who agree advertising limit must remain.

I think what is needed...

1> All stations must be allowed advertising and just because you fall in an MCP area where no advertising is allowed is unfair. Having this allows Social Gain to be achieved in some capacity without worrying where the bills will be paid.
2> Stations which can demonstrate their target audience, i.e. like those who serve BME, then business in those areas aren’t going to advertise on local ILR, a) its too expensive and b) they wouldn’t want to advertise to an audience that doesn’t listen to local ILR. c) If the community station is delivering good quality content then why should it be deprived of advertising?
3> Change the percentage for these groups to have more advertising.
4> It was also suggested at the AGM that maybe separate advertising and sponsorship...something which must be considered, HOWEVER a single sponsor for the overall station scares me to hell and I am totally against that. (radio abc sponsored by xyz supermarkets just make it all sound like the football league or any other high profile event...just not what we are about.)
5> Can a station have an official partner. Someone did ask me this question at the weekend at the festival. Seek Ofcom I said...!!!
6> Top Slicing the Licence Fee...Primarily for local stations to deliver content (this was taken from a similar idea 'Sound and Vision' which in Ireland have for everyone or every media group applies for and no doubt the same model can apply here -
Sound and Vision is a grant scheme designed to support the production of new television and radio programmes in the areas of Irish culture, heritage and experience and adult literacy. The Scheme is the result of the Broadcasting (Funding) Act, 2003 and is funded by 5% of the television licence fee. Total so far I think is €11M. http://www.bci.ie/broadcast_funding_scheme/index.html

In regards to Professionalism, I have to disagree with you on that remark...we are excellent in being creative in what we do and do it professionally. Maybe even this professionalism of content of programs will enable it to be heard on so called professional platforms.

I know what you meant it just didn’t sound right and we have to be serious in our attitude and show we are truly professional enough to be at the same table as the big boys. Sadly it’s the way this works.
Changing Government and Funding Bodies attitudes to take us serious requires us to be Professional. So if that’s the little we have to do then I'm all for it.

Keep the debate alive.

Javed