[Greennet-l] GreenNet Newsletter: Spring 2003

Joanne Doyle joanne at gn.apc.org
Thu May 1 17:38:03 BST 2003

GreenNet Newsletter: Spring 2003

Contents:

GREENNET WEB SERVICES...
GREENNET ACTION KITS/
NEWLY DESIGNED SITES USING ACTIONAPPS/
OTHER SITES DESIGNED AT GREENNET/
SUPPORT NEWS...
MICROSOFT SECURITY FLAW/
GREENNET SUPPORT FORUMS/
PROJECT NEWS/
GREENNET TRAINING/

GreenNet Newsletter: A quarterly e-bulletin for our user community on
strategic uses of the Internet to promote social justice and
equality. From GreenNet, an online community for peace, the
environment, civil rights and social justice since 1986.

GreenNet Newsletter Spring 2003 online at:
http://www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/n_spr03.html

Past issues of GreenNet Newsletter:
http://www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/

Please add your events to our new calendar. This is a database driven
calendar, powered by ActionApps:
http://www.gn.apc.org/calendar/calindex.shtml

If you have any questions about any of the news in the edition of our
newsletter, please get in contact with us. We are happy to go through
any of the services outlined  or any queries you may have.

GREENNET WEBSERVICES

***New*** GREENNET ACTION KITS

GreenNet is about ready to release easy to use, very cost effective
templates of various ActionApps that have been most in demand, called
"GreenNet Action Kits'. These are a selection of the most popular
dynamic website sections as ready-to-use Kits. Using ActionApps as a
content management system means you can get:

 > Action Alerts going on the web site as soon as they're emailed out
 > on your mailing lists.  News stories getting published online just
 > as soon as they've been written.  Forthcoming publications being
 > flagged up on your website as soon as the press release is done
 > Job vacancies being advertised online as soon as you've written the
 > job spec.  A calendar of events becoming a really useful tool for
 > your users to find out what's coming up.  The links to useful web
 > resources on your site getting updated just as soon as you've heard
 > they need changing.

adding new sections of content-filled pages to your website has
never been faster or simpler.

GreenNet Action Kits can be used to add new sections to existing
sites, or form the basis of developing a new site from scratch and
include:

- - News
- - Publications
- - Jobs
- - Calendar
- - Resources

For further information and a price list, please email
design at gn.apc.org.
More information about ActionApps here:
http://www.gn.apc.org/services/webdesign.html#actionapps

NEWLY DESIGNED SITES USING ACTIONAPPS

GreenNet has developed a new dynamic calendar for Women's Aid, a
national charity working to end domestic violence against women and
children. The calendar has both a public and a members only display
of events. The public can submit events (which must be approved by
Women's Aid staff), and view the public events at:
http://www.womensaid.org.uk/calendar/calindex.shtml

We have also been working on a new website:
http://www.gaiacooperative.org/hfdguide/index.shtml
which aims to enable any local area (town, city, county) to create
their own 'Greenlinks Directory of local goods and services,
community initiatives etc. with entrants filling in their own details
online. This is a  'self-build green guide' which can have its own
domain name but within the Gaia Coop site. The costs will be a
fraction of a stand-alone database driven website and with the added
benefits of contributing towards a vision of a national network of
local directories. Participants in the Directories can communicate
with each other by email links; also with the wider public, through a
number of awareness-raising
local events designed to encourage more 'eco-literate' lifestyles.
Participants include local food initiatives, vegetable box schemes,
farmers markets, recycling points, repair centres, community
composting, green transport initiatives, sustainable woodland use,
products, and crafts, opportunities for voluntary work in wildlife
conservation, and so on.

"GreenNet's help in providing and configuring Action Apps software
has been excellent and the example directory currently viewable on
the website is offering the functionality and presentation of
information in just the simple and effective way envisioned,
including a useful search facility".
- - Elaine Brook, Gaia Cooperative

For more information about ActionApps, and other sites using
ActionApps: http://www.gn.apc.org/services/webdesign.html#actionapps

OTHER SITES DESIGNED AT GREENNET - we've been very busy!

EURONET - The European children's Network - a coalition of networks
and organisations campaigning for the interests and rights of
children - has set up a web forum to allow young people to directly
participate in discussions on the Future of Europe. Within this
'child friendly' discussion space, they can explore the themes of
poverty and social exclusion, children's and young people's
participation, childrens health and Education and the environment:
http://www.europeanchildrensnetwork.org/Interaction/Interaction.htm

E-PARLIMENT - The E-Parliament is the first world institution whose
members are elected by the people. It links democratic members of
parliament and congress into a global online forum. Through the
e-Parliament, legislators can learn from each other, monitor
international agencies and work together to solve common problems.
Everyone-parliamentarians, citizens, organizations, journalists-can
participate in different ways:
http://www.e-parl.net

SAFRA PROJECT - The Safra Project is a resource project on issues
relating to lesbian, bisexual and transgender (LBT) women who
identify as Muslim culturally and / or religiously. Their new site
offers information on social & legal services, sexuality, gender &
Islam, plus reports highlighting the issues facing Muslim LBT women:
http://www.safraproject.org/

RIGHT LIVELIHOOD AWARD - The Right Livelihood Award is widely known
as the 'Alternative Nobel Prize' and there are now over 100 laureates
from 48 countries.
This Award exists to strengthen the positive social forces that its
recipients represent and to provide the support and inspiration
needed to make them a model for the future. It has been said that if
the Nobel Prizes reflected world concerns of the 20th century, the
Right Livelihood Award should epitomise those of the 21st:
http://www.rightlivelihood.org

SUPPORT NEWS

MICROSOFT SECURITY FLAWS

MicroSoft have found a serious security flaw in almost all versions
of
windows. Our technical team considers this as critical and recommends
update the affected part of Windows.
A description of this bug in a module of all versions of MicroSoft
Windows
can be found on their web site
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-008.asp
You can update your windows by opening
http://www.windowsupdate.com
in Internet Explorer. This will guide you through a semi-automatic
setup
process.
If you are concerned about privacy issues then you may not want to
use
Internet Explorer and Windows Update since it is - at least - unclear
which (personal) information is being sent from your computer to
MicroSoft
during this process. You can either use an alternative browser - you
can find one in our Support/Downloads section:
http://www.gn.apc.org/support/win95/software/index.html

or follow one of the links below for your version of Windows:

- - Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/q8140
78/default.asp

- - Windows Me:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6504FD9-5E2C-45B
F-9424-55D7C5D2221B&displaylang=en

- - Windows NT 4.0, Terminal Server Edition:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6504FD9-5E2C-45B
F-9424-55D7C5D2221B&displaylang=en

- - Windows 2000:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=824B1BD4-B4D6-49D
5-8C58-199BDC731B64&displaylang=en

- - Windows XP Home Edition and Professional Edition:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=824B1BD4-B4D6-49D
5-8C58-199BDC731B64&displaylang=en

GREENNET SUPPORT FORUMS

You may have read in the last GreenNet newsletter:
http://www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/n_win03.html

...that we are currently revamping certain areas of our web site. As
part of this process, we have introduced a new service - the GreenNet
Support Forums.
The GreenNet Support Forums is a searchable database of queries and
problems. This will not work if you don't give it a go! In order to
build up a good bank of resources, you also have to share your ICT
query solving experiences.

We hope that the design of the forums will stimulate discussion, and
generally strengthen the GreenNet community. This is part of our
ongoing aim to encourage you to share resources and information to
benefit your own networks.

You can go directly to the Forums here:
http://phorum.greennet.org.uk/index.php?f=2

or via the GreenNet support page:
http://www.gn.apc.org/support/index.html

Thanks to Michael for getting this off the ground.
We welcome your comments and feedback.

PROJECT NEWS

In the last newsletter, we mentionned Karen Banks from GreenNet was
going to the WSIS prepcom in Geneva. You can read about APC at the
WSIS here:
http://www.apc.org/english/news/index.shtml?x=10504

GreenNet is now planning to organise an event to follow up on WSIS UK
activities, and raise awareness around ICT policy issues for UK
women's groups, specifically highlighting issues of security and
privacy.

This event will also be used to present the GEM (gender and ICT
evaluation methodology) to UK groups, and to work further with groups
interested in using it. The main aim is to work towards building a
more cohesive network of gender and ICT advocates in the UK.

*Women with MegaBYTE - gender and ICTs*
This event will be hosted in London on May 20th and 21st, in
conjunction with WomenConnect (http://www.womenconnect.org.uk/). The
event will look at how women's organizations in the UK were using,
are using and could be using Information and Communication Technology
(ICT) to sustain their work, challenge inequality and bring about
social change. The event is free to attend. If you are interested in
attending, please send an email to Joanne at gn.apc.org, including a few
lines on what your organisation does and your role within it. Places
are limited and we may need to select on the basis of this email.

GreenNet Educational Trust will also be launching an exciting new
website tool around Internet Rights, in the evening following the
event on the 20th May. This interactive tool will provide a jumpstart
to help build a team of organisations and individuals that can
respond quickly and effectively to UK and International Internet laws
and policies.

The hope is that both events will draw together existing expertise
and knowledge and build a strong network, both to guide future work
of the UK Internet Rights project and to lobby for the inclusion of
Internet rights in policy and practice here in the UK, and in
International arenas.

GREENNET TRAINING

The next web design using Dreamweaver course will run from
10.30-17.30 Thursday and Friday 22nd 23rd May
11.00-18.00 Saturday and Sunday 14th & 15th June
To book a place or for details of future courses, please email
joanne at gn.apc.org

*About Web design using dreamweaver*
The course is intended for those with some computer experience &
includes practical hands-on project work. By the end of the course
you will; understand the principles of the World Wide Web; have a
practical understanding of how to build, update and publish a web
site using Dreamweaver; understand the key principles of web design &
site promotion.

We can only run the courses if there are enough booked on, please let
us know if you are interested and we can try to arrange a date that
would suit all parties.

*Advanced Web Design*
There are a couple of people interested in advanced web design
training but not enough yet to run it. The proposed training is also
a 2-day training covering: templates, layout tables, flash buttons,
layers, java script behaviours and electronic forms. We need a
minimum of 4 people to run the course. Again, email joanne at gn.apc.org
for more information.

The GreenNet Newsletter is edited by Joanne Doyle on behalf of the
GreenNet Collective. For more information, contact joanne at gn.apc.org.