[Greennet-l] GreenNet Newsletter: September 2004 SPECIAL

GreenNet User Support support at gn.apc.org
Thu Aug 26 13:15:40 BST 2004

GreenNet Newsletter: September 2004 SPECIAL

GREENNET SERVICES/
new services pages/
broadband/
GREENNET MOVE/
NEW GREENNET SITES/
SUPPORT NEWS/
JOBS AND VOLUNTEERING/
alternet volunteer/

Find this edition of the GreenNet Newsletter online at:
- --> www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/n_sept04.html

The GreenNet Newsletter is an e-bulletin for our user community on
strategic uses of the Internet to promote social justice and equality.
- From GreenNet, an online community for peace, the environment, civil
rights and social justice since 1986.

Past issues online at:
- --> www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/

GREENNET SERVICES

NEW SERVICES PAGES

GreenNet has reshaped its services. The new services can be found as usual
on our services page

	http://www.gn.apc.org/services

The changes in services reflect the change in our members' needs. As
announced in the previous newsletter we stopped offering Standard
Membership as many of our members already use broadband. Therefore, we
have separated the connection part and the E-mail part of the traditional
Standard Membership. This allows you to keep your E-mail service with
GreenNet but chose your connectivity (broadband, ADSL, ..) from a longer
list of options.

Some of the highlights of the new services:

- - Home / Activist Membership with an E-mail account, 50MB of web space and
your own GreenNet subdomain
- - Reduced charges for domain name registrations
- - A new option to combine web forwarding and E-mail forwarding for your
own domain name

BROADBAND

GreenNet is now offering broadband internet in cooperation with the Phone
Co-op. This means that the broadband service, support, and billing for it
will be done by the Phone Co-op. It allows you to stay with GreenNet as
your E-mail and hosting provider while using the Phone Co-op for
connecting to the internet at high speed. As mentioned above, GreenNet
offers a new membership, Home / Activist Membership, to complement this.

In order to apply for broadband go to the GreenNet Connect page, select
your choice of broadband and click on the Subscribe Now button. This will
take you to the application form for The Phone Co-op's broadband services.

GreenNet Connect
http://www.gn.apc.org/services/connect.htm

GREENNET MOVE

GreenNet will, once again, be moving offices, from posh Angel to trendy
Shoreditch. We will be moving on Thursday and Friday 2nd and 3rd September
2004. We expect that telephone and email support availability will be very
limited during those two days. We hope that our answer phone facility will
be available, but please do not rely on this being the case.
Additionally, sites hosted on the Windows NT server will be unreachable
while the machine is being moved from Angel to Leonard Street.

We would like to apologise for any incovenience caused by this.

We are taking up residence in a new building managed by the Ethical
Property Company, at:
56-64 Leonard Street
London
EC2A 4JX.

*** Users do not need to change their dial-up connection or E-mail details
***

*** Our main support number remains the same, 0845 055 4011 ***

Our fax and international telephone numbers will change to +44 207 0650
935 (international) and 0207 0650 936 (fax).

NEW GREENNET SITES

GreenNet is Proud to Announce ...

...Two Great New Websites - more valuable content online, innovatively
organised, dynamically published, driven by open source technologies,
developed by GreenNet, and populated by...

European Social Forum UK 2004
a unique opportunity where social movements, trade unions, NGOs, refugees,
peace and anti-imperialist groups, anti-racist movements, environmental
movements, networks of the excluded and community campaigns from Europe
and the world can come together to discuss how to achieve global social
justice for all and debate ways of making 'another world possible'.
Visit the site to buy your ESF pass online, submit proposals for events
and find out what others are proposing.
http://www.fse-esf.org

Privacy International
A human rights group working as a watchdog on surveillance and privacy
invasions by governments and corporations. PI has conducted campaigns and
research globally on issues ranging from wiretapping and national
security, to ID cards, video surveillance, data matching, police
information systems, medical privacy, and freedom of information and
expression. The rebuilt site has a new interface, and a new database for
all the old content and new stuff too - transforming it into a fantastic
educational resource.
http://www.privacyinternational.org/

SUPPORT NEWS

COMBATTING SPAM -- GREYLISTING UPDATE

Since the end of April, GreenNet has been using a new and currently very
effective method of enhancing the ability of the mail system to limit the
amount of spam that is delivered to your mailbox on a technical level.
Currently, the method's effectiveness reaches over 95%. Theoretically, no
legitimate mail should ever be permanently blocked.

The method known as "greylisting" is based on the simple observation that,
while ordinary mail system behaviour is to attempt to deliver the message
repeatedly in case of a temporary failure, most of the spam is being
delivered through special applications, which appear to adopt the
"fire-and-forget" methodology. We setup our servers to refuse the first
delivery attempt, and only accept the second and any consequent ones from
the same sender to the same recipient.

Although the method has been designed to minimize the impact on
the end users, due to its nature you may have experienced some
delays in email delivery. If you should have questions or problems
let us know so we can improve the system.

As a result many users observed a significant decrease in the amount of
spam they have received since we have introduced greylisting. We have also
had many messages praising this fact. There have also been cases where
even big internet services providers were not adhering to the technical
standards of E-mail delievery which caused bounced messages. We have
developed the system to recognise these "faulty" senders with the help of
our members. At this point we would like to thank all of you for your
patience and understanding.

Further reading:
http://phorum.greennet.org.uk/read.php?f=4&i=51&t=51
http://phorum.greennet.org.uk/read.php?f=4&i=50&t=5#reply_50
http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/

JOBS AND VOLUNTEERING

ALTERNET VOLUNTEER

GreenNet is looking for a part-time - 1 day per week - volunteer to help
the collective compile Alternet, our fortnightly social justice E-zine.
Alternet is emailed to GreenNet Users every two weeks, and contains news
of events, campaigns, jobs, new websites, and publications, relevant to
the work and lives of anyone involved in the UK social justice scene.
Content is drawn from news we recieve from our users, and research we do
amongst the broader activist community.
We are looking for an enthusiastic volunteer editor, with journalistic
ambition, and an interest in the campaigning issues of Peace, the
Environment, Gender Equality and Social Justice.

We will provide you with a space to work and the opportunity to network
amongst an exciting and diverse range of organisations and people. You'll
have the chance to develop your written communication skills and to
explore the tools and techniques used as part of GN's unique approach to
strategic use of the internet for campaigning.
For more information send an E-mail to Cedric Knight (support at gn.apc.org)
and look at the job description at
http://www.gn.apc.org/jobs.shtml?x=61078

GreenNet Newsletter: An e-bulletin for our user community on strategic
uses of the Internet to promote social justice and equality. From
GreenNet, an online community for peace, the environment, civil rights and
social justice since 1986.

Past issues of GreenNet Newsletter:
http://www.gn.apc.org/news/newsletter/

If you have any questions about any of the news in the edition of our
newsletter, please get in contact with us. We are happy to go through any
of the services outlined or any queries you may have, email:
support at gn.apc.org.

This edition of the GreenNet Newsletter is edited by Liz Probert, Cedric
Knight, Janet Chapman and Michael Moritz on behalf of the GreenNet
Collective.

- --