[Lac] Creative Commons Licensing for Developing Countries.

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Sat Sep 18 01:51:55 BST 2004

Diego Saravia wrote:

>>Digital Divide is not just a poverty issue. It's an information issue...
>>that's another reason why Free Software is so important. Wouldn't you
>>agree?
>>

>Free software is more a matter of freedom, than a mater of economy.
>It could help, off course.

The Digital Divide is not just about money; it's about money because it
costs money to access information and the equipment and software to use it.
Wouldn't you agree?
Therefore making things more accessible would decrease costs, and
therefore Free Software is important in this regard as well.
Free Software also creates jobs, if done properly, which means that
people gain experience and knowledge - which is another factor of the
Digital Divide.

I'm sorry, if you think that Freedom and Economy are completely separate
things, I have to disagree.

>We need free soft in rich countries and in poor countries.

In my book, there are poor people in rich and poor countries. The
Digital Divide exists within Developed and Developing nations.

>If people do have enough money to buy computers and access, there can do it
>if they want. No digital divide.

If people have to spend less money on content and software, then they
would have more money for equipment. Wouldn't you agree?

>The other way of think is to give computers and access to poor people.
>I do not like to think that way. I prefer to live in a society without poor
>people. That also aplies to CC for poor contries.

Sadly, there will always be 'poor people', simply because there will
always be people with more. If you wish to live in a society without
poor people, then you wish to live in a society without rich people.
That means everyone has the same amounts of everything. That's a system
that is considered to be quite different from democracy.

>>There are a lot of international organizations which are trying to share
>>information with developing countries, but writing a license that
>>doesn't shoot themselves in the foot appears to be difficult - and
>>costly. Lawyers are not cheap :) Free Software makes the sharing of
>>software fair for everyone involved, but sometimes with non-
>>functional works simply copyrighting them doesn't appear to be
>>enough. So they hide them from people, and charge money for them.
>>Since everyone does this, they have to do it so that they can
>>compete - at least this is what they think. Changing completely to
>>Free Content scares people, just the same as Free Software scares
>>some people (notably our friends in Redmond, Washington).
>>

>Is good to scare that people.

Yes, Redmond, Washington could use a few scares. But look at the deal
they made with Sun... now they have the capacity to sue OpenOffice.org
users. So it works both ways.

>>People are fragile when it comes to change, sometimes we must
>>remember that.
>>

>yes of course, we must support the people that wants to change.
>

>I understand your point, its an economic issue.
>It is an step as you said, but i am not sure if it is a step in the right
>direction. CC helps people to use copyright, I think we must destroy
>copyright, as we know it.

I think we agree - but instead of saying 'destroy copyright', I think we
both mean 'create a better form of copyright'. :)
It's hard working in another language, I am painfully aware of it.

--
Taran Rampersad

cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.linuxgazette.com
http://www.a42.com
http://www.worldchanging.com
http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.easylum.net

"A business that makes nothing but money is a poor kind of business."— Henry Ford